Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Opinion/advice

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
Quick question... Has anyone ever gotten a european mount done to sheds they have found? I am very new to getting into shed hunting and found a matching set of antlers from a 160 plus deer on a property we hunt. His left side was my first ever shed finding and his right side was my dogs first solo find. It has a lot of meaning and also is the biggest rack I have held onto. My question is this, is it worth taking it to a taxidermist? I have never seen one of those euro kits in person and just don't know if the fake skull would look like cheap plastic or the real deal. If anyone knows of a good brand for mount kit I would love to hear what kind it is.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
A couple of years back, Rick and I hunted a nice buck with a chocolate rack. We never got the buck but Rick was lucky enough to find his sheds.

We bought one of the Mountain Mike's camo colored Euro mounts. I think it looks decent and the camo design helps to hide the plastic.

Here's a small picture of it. I'm not sure if Rick has a larger picture of it or not, but this will give you an idea as to how it turned out.

chocolate-whitetail-sheds-mounted.jpg

I bought it through Gander Mountain, but I think several places sell them.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When I mount something, it is because it has meaning to me. My first mallard, my first turkey, and so on. My next project is my first wood duck ever killed on my own and it is also the first bird my dog ever retrieved. I am mounting a drake and hen together since the hen is the one he swam clear out in the river to get. IMO, those sheds are a must mount.

Ricer2231

When I mount something, it is because it has meaning to me. My first mallard, my first turkey, and so on. My next project is my first wood duck ever killed on my own and it is also the first bird my dog ever retrieved. I am mounting a drake and hen together since the hen is the one he swam clear out in the river to get. IMO, those sheds are a must mount.

I'm the same way Jesse. If it has meaning to me I hold into it. I have a 100" dead head euro mounted just due to the fact that it was myself and my sons first real scouting excursion together. No monster buck and nothing exceptional about it just something we found together out walking.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I never heard of someone doing a euro/shed mount before now, Nick. What Rick and Diane did looks great. I know JD and others have had sheds mounted on a caped out deer with the capability of changing the sheds from time to time.

The euro would be much cheaper but if I found a set that was really special to me, I'd mount them on a deer like JD regardless of the cost difference.

The only other option you'd have would be to mount them on a skull you found of a shed buck of similar pedical size. It's a long shot but possible I guess. I actually found some over the years so it is possible.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I found one just last year that I have still laying around somewhere. It has decent sized pedical bases TOO. Prolly between a quarter and half dollar somewhere. You can have it if you want, it just needs whitened alittle more but first I have to find it. Lol

Alphamax10

Kirtland, Ohio
I found one just last year that I have still laying around somewhere. It has decent sized pedical bases TOO. Prolly between a quarter and half dollar somewhere. You can have it if you want, it just needs whitened alittle more but first I have to find it. Lol

I actually called a taxidermist and he said he couldn't do it with a real skull. I have a little euro I wanted him to switch the antlers but couldn't... Thank you for the offer though. Thank you everyone I think I am leaning on getting the Mountain Mikes camo dipped snow one. Ill post pictures when I finish it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I actually called a taxidermist and he said he couldn't do it with a real skull. I have a little euro I wanted him to switch the antlers but couldn't... Thank you for the offer though. Thank you everyone I think I am leaning on getting the Mountain Mikes camo dipped snow one. Ill post pictures when I finish it.

I liked the looks of that snow camo. Bet it looks real good mounted. Make sure you get someone to help you when holding/drilling the sheds.