Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Dandelion

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Any of you eat 'em? Mason's lil buddy asked us the other day while we were fishing if we ate them, and we have not. He said they were delicious, and when fried tasted a lot like morels. That got me looking at them in a whole new way, and I am going to pick and fry some tomorrow. The entire plant, including the root is edible, but I am gonna go with just frying the flowers to start. Any thoughts?

oakswamper

around Toledo
We love it

1/2 lb. bacon, cubed and browned
2 eggs
1/3 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c, granulated sugar
1 1/2 c. milk

Drain fat from bacon and mix other ingredients together. Add 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with water to form a thin paste. Bring to boil for 1 to 2 minutes (can add sugar if not sweet enough). Serve over dandeline

I add boiled eggs to it

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I juice them; the leaves that is. I've been buying them from Meijer during the winter.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mike, is the juice tasty or do you just shoot it down for health reasons?

I ate one of the flowers raw a little bit ago just out of curiosity. It wasn't bad, not nearly as bitter as I'd expected it to be. BTW, one of my favorite snacks while turkey hunting is redbud. If you haven't tried them, you should. Nothing exceptional, but it taste like sweet lettuce.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I guess I should have said I only use the leaves

I may have to try the recipe you've posted as well, Oak. Thanks. I think my MIL would love that, she went on for 5 minutes about how much she like dandelion after I asked my FIL about them... funny, in the 20+ yrs I've known her, I've never seen her dandelion loving self eat one. :)

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Mike, is the juice tasty or do you just shoot it down for health reasons?

I ate one of the flowers raw a little bit ago just out of curiosity. It wasn't bad, not nearly as bitter as I'd expected it to be. BTW, one of my favorite snacks while turkey hunting is redbud. If you haven't tried them, you should. Nothing exceptional, but it taste like sweet lettuce.

It's added into the cocktail of other leafy greens that I use. It does give it a bitter taste, but the citrus covers it well.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Years ago, my neighbor would just pick one from the ground as we were talking & start munching. I had heard of dandelion wine, but never eating them. You should have seen the look on my face. He died a year ago or so, so I've always wondered if it was his old age or those weeds that caught up with him....:smiley_chinrub:

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'll be damned...

I just knew the Rhinocerus looking things in the Ice Age movie fought over them (if you have kids you know what I mean).

I'll have to try this. I have plenty in my yard.

I wouldn't go eating any that you have put fertilizer, Roundup,or grub treatment on.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
They were brought here intentionally by the pilgrims... they felt they were benficial enough to pack 'em along. Interesting.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
We love'em. It is a strange but delicious taste. Like a mix between fried morels and okra. We do the buds rights when they start to open. Pan fried in butter just like morels. Little salt and parmesan after pulling.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
They were brought here intentionally by the pilgrims... they felt they were benficial enough to pack 'em along. Interesting.

They've long had medical uses. I Bet that's why they brought them.

The humble little Dandelion has remarkable nutritional value, being very high in vitamins A and C, with more beta carotine than carrots and more potassium than broccoli or spinach, not to mention healthy doses of iron and copper for good measure. Medicinally, Dandelions are considered very safe and effective as a general tonic that helps strengthen the liver, gallbladder, pancreas, spleen, stomach, and intestines, improving bile flow and reducing inflammation in cases of hepatitis and cirrhosis. Dandelions also help to dissipate gallstones and are believed to improve kidney function, thereby improving overall health and clearing skin problems.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I just picked these up from Meijer.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366834153918.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366834153918.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 55