Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bullet Molds - Lee or Lyman?

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
OK all you guys who cast your own bullets - I'm looking to purchase molds and I'm wondering which way to go...
Lee or Lyman?

What do you prefer, and why?

Also, I'm going to buy one of those little electric pots to melt ingots in.
Haven't decided if I'm gonna just get a basic one that you have to ladle the lead out of, or if I should buy one of the bottom feed jobbies.
Kinda thinking that I'd be happier with the bottom feed, but really like "simple" and I'm thinking that there could be potential problems with the bottom pour kettles.

Thanks in advance for your insights :smiley_coolpeace:

I have both. I like the lymans and rcbs a little more than the lee but for the price the lee's are good. The aluminum mold on the lee doesn't aniline as easily as the steel lymans when they get warm. I started with lee's 4 years ago and im still using them.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
All the molds cast the same quality of bullets. Repect the Lee molds for being aluminum and they will last a lifetime. Disrespect the mold by cutting the spruce off too early and you will ruin it in 5 minutes. I have 100.00 custom aluminum molds.
By all means buy the bottom pore pot as you will quickly get tired of the ladle and buy the bottom pore pot anyway.
The best priced pot on the market is the Lee 20 lb. bottom pore pot. All bottom pore pots might drip lead just a bit but totally controlable.
If you are doing pistol bullets I would get Lee's tumble lube type and use their liquid alox lube. Depending on the pistol you may have to size the bullet before loading. Otherwise you will need a Lyman or RCBS luber sizer at close to 200.00 cost. Lee luber sizer dies are probaly 20.00 or so and comes with a bottle of lube enough for 1000's of bullets. But the current panic buying has driven the prices up. I'm no longer active in the business so I'm out of touch on prices.
A simple way to check bullet size is take a fired case out of you pistol before you resize the case and try you cast bullet in it. It it fits back in you gun then the case and bullet loaded will normally function in your pistol OK. Plus the Lee pistol factory Crimp die resizes the loaded case after loading to what Lee call "high factory specs for loaded ammo".
I only shoot factory loaded jacketed bullets in my CCW for liablity reasons. I practice and hunt with lead bullets.
Never carry reloads in a CCW pistol. If you are unlucky enough to have use it for self-defense you won't have to defend yourself in court on reloads. The NRA recommends factory loaded CCW rounds only.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
On my lunch worked thru 5 google pages to get to a supplier called Titan Reloading - they had the 4-20 in stock for $71 so I bought it.

Gonna hafta research on exactly which mold I wanna start out with. But I'm going to try the Lee based on y'alls recommendations. And at around $17-20 it's a bit more attractive just to start with

PS Titan's page said they had 33 available

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
On my lunch worked thru 5 google pages to get to a supplier called Titan Reloading - they had the 4-20 in stock for $71 so I bought it.

Gonna hafta research on exactly which mold I wanna start out with. But I'm going to try the Lee based on y'alls recommendations. And at around $17-20 it's a bit more attractive just to start with

PS Titan's page said they had 33 available

Titan and FSReloading are direct outlets for Lee. They are across the street from each other I believe. I ordered from: http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=LEE90947&src=exrbSrch

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Yeah, there are other places offering the pot cheaper, but I got no patience. No patience whatsoever. :tantrum::smiley_crocodile:
My order shipped this afternoon. :smiley_coolpeace:

Now to find a dang mold......:smiley_confused_vra