Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Relocation of Wildlife

TheFirewoodGuy

Cols, Oh
I live on 8 acres of 'farm' in the big city of Columbus Ohio.
Been here all 32 years of my life.
As far back as I can remember, Dad has shot groundhogs, then dumped them in the crick.
I always felt like this was wrong.

As I grew older, I realized why he shot them.
We have 9 out-buildings, and every one has at least two holes underneath.
A few of these dens have collapsed under equipment, and even under foot over the years.
I began shooting groundhogs myself, but instead of dumping them in the crick, I skin them and eat em.

....We've always had a quarter acre garden where we would grow crops each year.
Living in the big city, all of the farm land surrounding us was bought-up in one quick spurt, and we are the only ones left with acreage. Naturally, all of the 'neighboring' animals migrated to our land.

Over the years, we 'caged' the crops, tried fencing the garden in, but everything is eaten as soon as it sprouts leaves. We gave up on gardening after a few years, and turned the fenced area into an orchard.
We got a lot of fruit the third year, but frost got us the next two years in a row. Upon the sixth year, our blossoms survived the frost, and we were excited to have fresh fruit again. Only, the animals ate everything, before it was close to ripe.

My family and friends are against the idea of me eating wild animals. (If you're thinking 'brainwashed', I agree.)

The point of this post is that I've realized long ago that groundhogs, squirrels and raccoons are a big nuissance. Not just to me, but too anyone who has a small garden, a concrete pad, or a flat home.
I would like to offer a trapping service that removes 'pests' from a homeowners yard, and that relocates these animals somewhere new.

Are there any privately funded organizations that will take these animals?
Are there any state funded parks that need more groundhogs, squirrels or raccoons?
I know I can get in the phone book, call governmental agencies, and possibly receive 'the run around'.
I was just wondering what some of the locals might know?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I'm not sure about the squirrels or groundhogs but I do know that it is not legal to relocate raccoons in the state of Ohio. They have to be euthanized on the property it is caught on or let free on that property. It can not be moved off the property alive once caught. Groundhogs are better left in the hole,ate,or left for fertilizer.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I'm sorry you have such issues with family. Tell them to stop thinking with their hearts and start thinking with their head. If that doesn't work shoot shovel and shut up. As for trapping and relocating, It's illegal with some species especially raccoons and opossums. I would also say you would be hard-pressed to find any wildlife employee who would recommend transferring any Animal from one location to another. The risk of spreading disease is far too great for the added benefit of an extra squirrel. Another issue you're facing is is it is illegal to trap animals out of season on another's property unless you have a license from the Ohio Department of natural resources. It is legal on your own property if the animal is being a nuisance. But on someone else's property you will need a license. I would highly recommend you review the Ohio revised code around nuisance species.

Good luck and I hope you get it all sorted out. Oh. And welcome to TOO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
These guys summed it up pretty well. For what it is worth, the 1800 number for the state is usually not too busy and they do a decent job of answering all your questions. Really think there was only one time they couldn't answer my question and they admitted it, put me on hold, and found out from another source before answering. They should be able to answer any legal questions without the run around for you.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
As our previous Warden said "take care of it silently". Enough said to get the idea.