Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

snares....do you use them

jdcrappiefish

this is something else we tried. not to sure how I feel about them. I made up about 100 and set out maybe 50 at any 1 time. our catch wasn't very good. we had 1 coyote and it got out or someone helped themselves to it, it was right by the interstate, and our only other catch was a big female coyote. by the way this was my very first coyote. I like them because they are lightweight and can carry a whole bunch at once, but we set trails that looked like major highways and still had nothing. could be I just don't know how to use them, but followed directions from fur fish game movie with stands and everything and even talked with a game warden and he said to set them everywhere, but no luck. any advice or pointers.
trapping 007 - Copy (600x800).jpg

Last edited:

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I don't have any advice you haven't already read or heard. However, I've had good success with them. As you stated, flood the area with them. I set all of mine where I can ride a four wheeler to check them and be gone without disturbing them if there isn't something in them. I don't know if that makes a lot of difference or not, but supposedly they will pick up on your routes if you check them on foot. Having said that, I've had snares hang for a month with no catches in places I thought would produce the first night. They gotta walk through 'em to catch 'em. As long as they are fairly well hidden, it seems to me it's only a matter of time before they walk through.

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Coyotes have a huge home range especially here in NW Ohio . We run them with hounds and its nothing to find a track in fresh snow and take it 6 or 7 miles before we jump them. With that being said it may take a week or two before they go by ur set. As far as snares the are great tools but after having a hound get caught in one that was ant mine when we were coyote hunting and killed the dog before we got to it,made me change my placement areas for them. I only use them for coon around old run down buildings or places I know a beagle or hound won't get into them. As far as yotes and fox a dirt hole or scent post is hard too beat. Just remember how big of range they travel and keep things working and only get as close to your sets just to check from afar hope this helps and good luck.