Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

I had a GREAT day....Tom, well....not so much. :)

Jill

Couldn't have asked for a more beautiful opening morning!
Nailed him at 9:40....22lb 8oz, 10 1/4" beard, 1 1/8" spurs.
What a GREAT TIME!

Tom and Jill.jpgspurs.jpgbeard smaller pic.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks everybody...I'm still in shock.

lol....it's more "coral" than "red" but you might be on to something!

Well if he knew it was coral Jill the we'd all be a little worried :smiley_clap:

Congrats on the nice Tom....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Ricer beat me to it. I was going to give you a hard time about the nails as well. lmao

Big congrats to you Jill! that is a fine bird!

Jill

Oh dang, what a story. Better half, the oldest son (he is a master with the slate call) and I were sitting in the blind munching on gronola bars. We'd been out since 6 and watched several turks glide down out of the trees. That was amazing in itself. So...9:35....munching on chocolate chip granola bars...and out walks a deer....comes really, and I mean really close to the blind....how we didn't get winded, I have no idea. Mr Deer starts meandering towards the woods and we whisper about packing it in at 10 am. Munch munch on granolas then out of the corner of my eye I see movement. About that time oldest son says, "MOM, 2 Toms coming out of the woods". We had been hearing Toms all morning but these two gave us NO warning.....they just sauntered out! So then I have better half hyperventilating to my left and oldest son hyperventilating just behind me....Tom 1 and 2 come closer, closer...almost so quickly that I wasn't sure I was going to get my gun up in time. Oldest said, "pick one and blast it"....I picked one and blasted it in the head. Oldest about knocked better half off his chair as we flew out of the blind. Tom thrashed for a few seconds then gave up the ghost.

The only thing that would have made it better would have been better half being able to get a shot off on the other Tom (Duck Dynasty fans think Uncle Si and Jace) but it wasn't meant to be this time. They came in so fast he couldn't get positioned in time to take a shot.

Not a doubt in my mind, I will NEVER forget this morning.

And yup, Calm Cool Coral is the color. lol

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That was a great write up! I bet "sauntered" hasn't been typed out on here TOO many times. lol

Loved it! Thanks for sharing. Hoping to get my first turkey this year as well. Heading out shortly. Don't be a stranger Jill. We only tease about the fingernails because it is a rarity for most of the members (except Cotty but he is sensitive so we don't mention it.) :smiley_crocodile: