Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Andrew's 1st turkey

lung buster

hocking county
Andrew was able to harvest his 1st turkey this morning at 7:10 and we were still able to make it to church on time,lol!

Andrew started turkey hunting last season and he had a chance at one but we just couldn't make it happen. He hunted so hard last year and I felt that he "deserved" a shot but we came up short.

Andrew was pumped up for yesterday and we were able to work 3 birds but we could only get them to about 35 yds and they hung up.

We were back in there this morning and as soon as we were set up one gobbled in the same place as yesterday. We heard him fly down and began calling. He would answer but I could tell that he was going away from us.

We stayed put and called softly every once in awhile. There were other birds a crossed the road that were really fired up and I was debating on going after them when his bird gobbled again and I could tell he was coming back.

The next thing we heard was him spitting and drumming right behind us. I had a decoy out in front of us on an old drag road at 10 yds.

Andrew's turkey came by us on our left side strutting and putting on a show. When he got to where Andrew could shoot, I whispered "kill him" and Andrew's .410 barked and he hit him in the face with a load of Hevi-Shot #7's! His turkey hit the dirt and was dead! It didn't even flop or kick!

What an awesome day this was and words can't even express how proud I am of my son! His bird was 18.5 lbs, and had a 9.5" beard and 1" spurs.