Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smoking/jerky making with charcoal

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I am getting ready to make some more deer jerky (ground + jerky shooter), and my attention has turned to the charcoal grill. Anyone ever smoke or cure jerky over charcoal with hickory? Any tips?

I can keep the heat around 200* consistantly, but I am not sure how long it will take. Also not sure if I will continue to add chips or if I should go with a metal pan with chips & water. I was not overly impressed with the oven method last go round, but will go back if needed.

Lets hear it (Badger lol)!

oakswamper

around Toledo
I used to do a lot of it that way, the tricky part is keeping it under 200 because it will dry out fast. It doesnt take a lot of smoke to get the desired flavor (I ruined a few batches with too much smoke) trial and error but you will like it

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I need to rid myself of some ground meat and love jerky. I have a dehydrator, but I'd like to impart more flavor using the smoker. Adam did you follow through with the smoker method? Anyone else use tier smoker to make jerky?

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I read on here last year that somebody would use their scent smoker to smoke their jerky when it was finished. I mentioned it to a buddy and he did it then sat it in fridge for a few days in a bag. I tried some it it had a nice flavor. Maybe not a strong as I'd like it, but something you could definitely work on. His was also burger jerky that he did in dehydrator