Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Kody connected on a youth Tom

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Kody, my 12 year old, is becoming quite the seasoned veteran. He began his quest for his second turkey of his young career this morning and took advantage of the youth season to get it done.

My dad (Old Scout) and I set the tent up yesterday evening out behind my house in a woodline overlooking a large field. We set up shop right after daybreak this morning and immediately heard gobbling, but it was pretty far off.
The calling began...
turkey1.JPG

Pretty early we had a hen come over the hill and skirt the area. She became a live decoy and made some great calls for us. About 30 minutes later a Jake shows up and fans out once around one decoy. He then just mills around and Kody never even thought twice about if he was going to shoot or not. He was holding out for a Tom.

Some time passed and we waited...
turkey11.jpg

Then another Jake showed up and the two paraded around the decoys.
turkey 2.JPG

They fed off to our left and we kept hearing gobbling down in the hollow behind us. We heard gobbling pretty steady all morning, but they sounded pretty far off on the opposite ridge. These gobbles we were hearing now sounded like they were a bit closer. It's a steep hollow behind us and we were pretty sure they were in the bottom. My dad started hammering the slate call and mixed in some mouth calls with it. The gobblers steadily got closer. It was just now a matter of time. We had about 10 minutes of silence and then a loud GOBBLE to our right. I leaned forward and here they came... from right to left.
[video=youtube;RkEFFbqeM24]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkEFFbqeM24&list=UU6E7StzQhNgpkq4sUPkibmg[/video]

Now it's time for the congrats!
turkey3.jpg

And the first hero shot!
turkey6.jpg

One happy kid!
turkey7.jpg

Love bright white head... what's left of it.
turkey8.jpg

Pap and Kody
turkey9.jpg

Last edited:

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Me and Kody
turkey10.jpg

I am so fortunate that my sons like to hunt. I am also very fortunate that I have my dad along for the ride and to help out. He did an unbelievable job calling and Kody put one heck of a shot on that ol' Tom. He had a 10" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.

It was a great morning!!!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
That's awesome Mike!!!! Give Kody a pat on the back for me brother....... Tell Stan good job on the calling too....... Love the pictures..... And you may not be Drury quality but that video will be proudly shown for years too come..... :smiley_coolpeace:

Thank you all today was probably best turkey hunt ever for me. I have been hunting and killed lot birds but to see Kody be patient and wait for a mature bird was great. Mike did good getting video of it and i was fortunate to be with son and grandson doesn't get any better than that. Hope everyone has safe and great season.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a Great hunt for your hunting clan Mike! Congrats to Kody on killing a very nice bird. Average video is better than no video! Lol
What a great way to start your families season!