Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sarge: Intro to live birds....

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Felt this deserved its own thread..... Bought some pigeons from a guy yesterday for live bird training and it was interesting to say the least. Sarge has never had an issue with "dead" bird but I've neglected to work on his predator drive in trade for OB. The first 10 mins were a little shaky at best. He'd bark, growl, jump around, pick it up and run 5 ft. then drop it, then do it all over again. I finally decided to chuck one in the water where we train and it all clicked! I didn't want him to get in the water with a cripple and "choke" with not knowing why the bird was alive. The area we train is nice bc there's 10-15 yards of water and then marsh brush for 100 yards, so I can throw them in the marsh and let him break the water and use his nose to hunt them up. Pretty cool watching a pup work the wind and lock on the birds scent. Enough babble here's a few pics......

Intro:

WTF!!!!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Great looking dog Zach and it looks like things are coming along nicely! But how could you do that to those poor whiddle birdies...

lmao

Rutin

Ina Duck Blind
Great looking dog Zach and it looks like things are coming along nicely! But how could you do that to those poor whiddle birdies...

lmao

My gf said the same thing when I ripped the primary wing feathers out of the first bird lol.... :smiley_armscrossed:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great pics as always, Zach! Sarge is progressing nicely. He's going to be a real ice-buster when he's full grown!