Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

fishing knots

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
taught myself how to hunt deer and turkey. Figured out how to put a minnow on a bobber for crappies, and sink a nightcrawler for cat fish. I have been wanting to learn more about bass fishing. never really had a grasp on where and when to use the different lures or how to get the correct action on them. Figure I'll start with a few basic questions.

I have heard different opinions on how to tie a lure on. Some say to use a tight blood knot or a cinch knot. Keep the knot on center of the eyelet in line with the center line of the lure. others say to use a bowline and allow the lure to work without the knot itself restricting its movements. i have also heard that if you get a crankbait thats got a ring on the eyelet you should take it off and tie on to the eyelet itself. others say tie onto the ring.

Any opinions?

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
googled that, found a "polymer" and a "palomar" knot. They both appear to be the same thing. Look pretty easy to tie. So, tying a knot like that, that cinches down and grips the eylet, wont interfere with the action of the lure?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The only one I've seen it affect was a top water... But the polymore is actually stronger the. The line itself. ... Most of time I doesn't break at the knot.... Just wet the line before you cinch it tight....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
There are a lot of good knots to use, but I've never found one better than the other. As J said, the knot is not what usually breaks. As long as you dampen the line before cinching with most any of them, you will have good results. Cinch 'em dry and you'll weaken the line. If I can keep a fish out of trees, I'll get him in the boat most generally. I've switched to using almost all spincast outfits and learned to back reel as a kid... fish don't get away often if you learn to keep "just enough" tension on them. As I kid I was taught by an old fishing buddy to keep 20lb king salmon hooked on 12 lb mono. It works on every fish I've ran into.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm a bait caster reel type using Shimano curados with Berkeley vanish fluorocarbon 12lb line.... Can count on one had the number of times the line broke on landing fish in he last 5-6 years.... Check for Knicks often and set the drag properly and you'll do fine....

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
cool link jim. checked out a few of those. the knot i normally use is the improved clinch knot. I was told it was called a blood knot. The knot i was shown to tie on a crankbait is the rappala knot. because it doesnt bind itself on the eyelet, and allows the lure to move freely.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
A blood knot is used to tie two lines together. Handy one to know. I use that one a lot to save line. Using a lot of light line I replace the leading half often but don't want to replace the entire spool. Blood knots are handy for that. You do get a little more wiggle out of a Rapala knot. Handy with jerkbaits too.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I was shown how to tie a palomar knot years ago by my uncle and that's all I use. Can't answer any of your other questions Dave as I am a fishing retard, but I can vouch for that not being a good one.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I have always used the Palomar Knot for all my knots. They say you will get better action with crankbaits and rapalas with something like the rapala knot, but I never use it. Pick something that is easy to tie, and just go with it.