Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big explosion in Waco.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Reports of a huge explosion at a fertilizer plant in Texas. Most fertilizer by it's self isn't explosive, but large amounts of natural gas is used in producing nitrogen fertizers.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Sad. There are plenty of things that when mixed with nitrate based fertilizer make very large explosions. 6% fuel oil is all that's required for ANFO. It's more powerful brother ANNM is about 60% nitromethane. Most explosives used in the is for mining and demo are AN variants. I wonder what LNG would do. Considering the nitromethane and fuel oil acts as a chain reaction to spread the blast through the AN. I can only imagine LNG would cause that reaction to be quicker thus creating a larger boom.

Sad. Just plain sad.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Hard to tell from news reports but on some farm forums it sounds like there were propane tanks, ammonia tanks, and ammonium nitrate on sight. I'm sure propane and ammonium nitrate would cause a big explosion. The ammonia isn't flammable but if the explosion or fire caused the tank to rupture the fumes would be bad.

Ricer2231

From what I heard this morning one of the biggest concerns is the fumes from the fire and the high winds that are expected. They said on the news they would have a better assessment of the situation once it gets daylight. They said the initial explosion registered 2.2 on the Richter scale and the explosion could be felt 20 miles away in Waco. The really sad part is how the explosion was delayed enough that the firefighters and EMS personell were on scene and fighting the fire when it happened. All that was said was firefighters and EMS personell were killed but they didn't say any exact number. Also sad that people are downwind of the fire and are right in the path of the toxic fumes and nobody can get in there to help them. Thoughts and prayers for all the people involved and their families.