Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Suppressor hunting bill?

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Saw this on AR15.com

Representative Cheryl Grossman (R Ohio) is putting this bill in now. She has been hard at work putting together a bill to change the hunting law in Ohio to allow suppressors. In her research she came across what Georgia had done. The following is an excert from the bill that was passed in George. She is planning to use it as a template for Oho's bill.

Any firearm otherwise
55 authorized for use in the hunting or taking of game may be equipped with a suppressor,
56 provided that the user is authorized to possess such suppressor and he or she has
57 registered the suppressor in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms Act,
58 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862). For the purposes of this paragraph, the
59 term 'suppressor' means any device for quieting or diminishing the report of any portable
60 weapon such as a rifle, carbine, pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, fowling piece, or
61 other device from which a shot, bullet, or projectile may be discharged by an explosive.
62 (b) The hunting privileges of any person who has been convicted of violating the
63 provisions of this title or any rule or regulation promulgated pursuant thereto by hunting
13 LC 28 6490
S. B. 93
- 3 -
64 without landowner permission, hunting in an area that is closed for hunting, or by hunting
65 big game out of season or at night with a firearm equipped with a suppressor shall be
66 suspended for three years."

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Doesn't effect us here much. Can't really suppress a 12 gauge. Would be nice for yote hunting though...if I got a shot off this year.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I would have one in a minute. My buddy who lives in Texas has suppessor hunting on everything. I'm still getting a 22 caliber centerfire silencer and can use it also on 22LR. The silencer unit not the firearm is registered.

$200 for the stamp and $700 for the suppressor kills it for me...for a while. I will build an SBR first.

Same here. I have shot a few suppressed AR-15 and the are either really finiky, get dirty super fast or blow gas in your face. If I was going to suppress a rifle it would not be a direct impingement AR15. I'd consider suppressing my Remington 700 Police 5.56X45 if this passed.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
If you ever work the pits at a rifle range and hear how loud the bullets are (supersonic) you'd realize there is little advantage with a suppressed high power rifle.

Now .22s, pistol cartridges and calibers like .300 whisper have advantages.