Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Staining concrete floor???

Gordo

Athens County
Figured id throw this out here, as we got a knowledgable crew.

I'm in the process of finishing a 20x24 area of my 20x60 garage to use as an office area.

Its all done except for the floor, and then to add some trimming and window sills.

Anyone ever use stain on concrete floor? Gives it an almost marble like finish if done correctly by using a semi transparent stain.

The prepping seems to be the most important part.

Anyone have any experience? Here's a picture of where im at with it right now.

Any input would b much appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366205447.576525.jpg

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
http://www.concretenetwork.com/stained-concrete/surface_preparation.htm

I have never stained a concrete floor, but we sold a good bit of stain when I was at Sherwin-Williams. Renting a buffing machine to prep the concrete is well worth the money from what I have seen. Follow the prep steps in the link below and do not use an acid-based cleaning solution. Lots of great stain choices out there TOO. Rust-Oleum sells a staining kit, but it only comes in two colors. The sandstone version would look good in there...

Gordo

Athens County
Awesome. Thanks man.

Was lookin into 'valspar' brand stain but i'll have to look into what u just mentioned.

Its finally warming up enough to get'r done

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dealing with similar issue myself in finishing concrete. Never used the stain but have seen some. That ought to look good Gordon!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Valspar is a solid product as well. I suggested Rust-Oleum because I have dealt with them directly as a company at Sherwin-Williams and as a customer. Their customer service is top notch...

Gordo

Athens County
My buddy just had it done to his basement and part of his house. He went a bit over the top and used multiple colors layers of stain. Looks bass ass. Marble like.

Time to start prepping that biotch!

Gordo

Athens County
We use a lot of Valspar paint at my work place. I could ask the paint rep what Valspar might have to offer if ya want.

I've already read a bunch into the valspar stuff, but thanks for the offer. It's the only concrete stain they carry at the local lowes do I have a bunch of info

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I have done it many times. The biggest part is prep/cleaning. If you have particular questions feel free to ask.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Here is exactly how I do it. I use a couple different tools but the same in general.

[video=youtube;3bx4gXJ4jkE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bx4gXJ4jkE[/video]

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Sealer

This is the most basic thing to do. Clean and prep the concrete. After drying just spray it down and roll it out. If you have to eventually walk across while applying it you can buy some cheap spike slip overs and roll your marks out as you go.

Acid

I prefer acid staining but it seems to be the most "scary" for people. Maybe it is because of the word acid. I like it because it hides flaws and will not flake off like other ways to put some color on concrete.

The hardest part is the unexpected surprises that happen due to inconsistencies in concrete. Pay close attention to the concrete during the prep and cleaning process. Water alone will reveal most of the variations. Anything that stands out on a wet surface is guaranteed to stand out when stained.

If there are cracks, don't bother fixing them prior to staining. You'll just make them look worse. Actually, cracks also add character. But if you are bothered by cracks, then you need to fill them with an epoxy crack filler and apply an overlay before acid staining.

Acrylic

Good stuff also. It is more user friendly. It is my second pick behind acid. For someone not experienced I recommend it first. If you don't get the acid PH down after it can cause your sealer not to adhere properly.

Epoxy

REALLY popular right now. The materials for this is a bit more costly than stains and the prep work is more tedious. Paints need a fairly rough surface in order to bond well and last. Acid etching can do this but grinding or shotblasting is what I recommend. Application can be easy depending of the type of epoxy paint. Just mix it up, roll it on, and throw paint chips on the wet paint if you're using them. Some of the stronger epoxies harden to quickly and should only be used by some one that is experienced. I recommended that a clear coat of sealer be applied as the last step to act as a sacrificial wear coat.

Last edited: