Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bonus weekend

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Nearly 30 state lawmakers today signed a letter opposing shortening Ohio's deer hunting season proposed by the state Division of Wildlife.

The lawmakers – 11 senators and 18 House members, mostly Republicans – questioned the basis for rule changes that would eliminate the statewide two-day gun season in late December, and reduce the number of deer that can be killed per hunter in 13 counties.

“The weekend in question is an important opportunity for late-season hunters to harvest approximately 15,000 deer based on recent figures,” the letter said. “We support more opportunity to harvest deer in Ohio, not less.

The letter also says that in the rural counties with reduced deer limits, “reports from our constituents are that more deer exist now in the counties, not less, and thus a larger harvest is justified.”

The lawmakers also opposed proposals to eliminate urban deer hunting and special muzzleloading deer hunts in southeast Ohio.

Hunting is important as a source of food and for limiting deer populations that can cause crop damage and road accidents, the letter said. “Maintaining consistency with Ohio’s values and hunting legacy is an important safeguard for opportunity and prosperity.”

http://dispatchpolitics.dispatch.co...ly-briefing/2013/04/4-15-13-more-hunting.html

mrex

*Supporting member*
If that is not a blatant admission of being on the take, I don't know what is. Pathetic.

It wasn't the FB or Nationwide Insurance who complained...it was a bunch of half baked hunters.

I've been warning for sometime that we need to get behind the DOW and not in their face. We wont be the first state to have politicians calling the shots.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
It wasn't the FB or Nationwide Insurance who complained...it was a bunch of half baked hunters.

I've been warning for sometime that we need to get behind the DOW and not in their face. We wont be the first state to have politicians calling the shots.

Excuse me for not wanting to cut off my own hand to prevent someone else from cutting off my arm.

Perhaps we could get behind the DOW better if they did their job fairly for all parties and quit sucking FB dick.

Maybe the DOW would have a leg to stand on to fight this if they hadn't sold out to FB and manipulated public opinion to state that we had too many deer.

Maybe they would have some credibility to fight this if they could actually show real population numbers, incidental kill numbers and a growth / decline rate.

Maybe they would have a mouth to fight this if they still had credibility with hunters and politicians.

Don't put this voodoo on us. It's their hole they dug, in the end nothing has changed. We hunters are still getting fucked. Just with a different dick. And as usual we have a helpless / discreditable / worthless DNR.

Also. The statement about "reports from our constituents say there are more deer not less" is a lie and sounds like FB lingo if I have ever seen it. How many hunters did you talk to Mike? What was the percent that told you numbers were down? 95%? The hunter survey last year shows the majority think they are down or the same. So where did these "constituents" come from.

What happened was the DOW is finally slowing up on the slaughter plan and it pissed off FB. Now that the DOW is pushing back FB is using their political clout.

Last edited:

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
On the other hand these "constituents" could be voters in their districts. It would be interesting to see if all these state lawmakers are in high deer population areas. Just a thought.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Do you honestly think hunters took the time to contact their representatives over the "loss" of two days of shotgun hunting? I do not.

Huckleberry Finn

Major changes in Ohio's deer hunting regulations are scheduled to be approved by the Ohio Wildlife Council on Wednesday night in Columbus. As the clock winds down, deer hunter and conservationist Denny Malloy of Youngstown continues to challenge a slate of deer-hunting dates he says a majority of Buckeye sportsmen don't want.

"A large percentage of hunters who commented on the new deer regulations [at open houses around the state and online] were against them," said Malloy, field director for Whitetails Unlimited, a national deer conservation group. Malloy's major complaints have been the demise of an extra weekend of gun hunting in mid-December following the weeklong deer gun season and a three-day January primitive weapons deer hunt. To give black powder rifle deer hunting a boost, an early-season traditional muzzle loading rifle hunt on three small public areas in southeast Ohio has been replaced with a statewide, does-only muzzle loading rifle season Oct. 12-13.

"The extra weekend of the deer gun season was very popular with Ohio hunters and large numbers of non-resident hunters," he said. "Take away that season and you lose a lot of people who buy licenses and permits. Last year, gun hunters took 12,000 deer during the extra weekend, visiting check stations, mom-and-pop stores, restaurants and other businesses when they needed economic help the most."

Malloy said October is too early in the season to have a statewide primitive weapons hunt, especially for antlerless deer. The weather is far too warm to encourage hunters to kill a deer and risk spoilage, and black powder hunters interfere with early-season bow hunters. Hunters killed 218,910 deer in Ohio last season with firearms and bows.

Chief Scott Zody of the Ohio Division of Wildlife said there has been a bump in the road having the deer hunting rules and new nuisance trapping regulations approved by the Ohio Wildlife Council and the Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review, a mandatory step in state government. The ODOW wanted JCARR to approve the new rules before they are voted on by the Ohio Wildlife Council, "but questions and concerns were raised by JCARR," said Zody.

By first going to JCARR, it gave the appearance the ODOW -- not the council -- had the authority to approve the rules. The wildlife agency will now have the council approve the regulations before filing them again with JCARR, which has 30 days to review and approve them.

http://www.cleveland.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2013/04/ohio_deer_season_changes_for_2.html

mrex

*Supporting member*
Excuse me for not wanting to cut off my own hand to prevent someone else from cutting off my arm.

Perhaps we could get behind the DOW better if they did their job fairly for all parties and quit sucking FB dick.

Maybe the DOW would have a leg to stand on to fight this if they hadn't sold out to FB and manipulated public opinion to state that we had too many deer.

Maybe they would have some credibility to fight this if they could actually show real population numbers, incidental kill numbers and a growth / decline rate.

Maybe they would have a mouth to fight this if they still had credibility with hunters and politicians.

Don't put this voodoo on us. It's their hole they dug, in the end nothing has changed. We hunters are still getting fucked. Just with a different dick. And as usual we have a helpless / discreditable / worthless DNR.

Also. The statement about "reports from our constituents say there are more deer not less" is a lie and sounds like FB lingo if I have ever seen it. How many hunters did you talk to Mike? What was the percent that told you numbers were down? 95%? The hunter survey last year shows the majority think they are down or the same. So where did these "constituents" come from.

What happened was the DOW is finally slowing up on the slaughter plan and it pissed off FB. Now that the DOW is pushing back FB is using their political clout.

You're getting what you wanted Joe. They're going to take it out of that dumbass SOB's hands and "we the people" will call the shots. You've said from the begging that the DOW is bowing to special interest groups and ignoring the hunters. And I've said from the beginning to be careful what you wish for. We, "hunters" are having our day in court. This is what you've demanded...you should be rejoicing? ...or is it just the handful of hunters who post here that should be listened to?

mrex

*Supporting member*
I'm out here exploring the cultural history of Las Vegas...

...and celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary with my wife. You guys can beat this up for now. I'll check back in during Turkey season.

But I'll leave you with this...it's not just one letter. There's a lot of hunters who aren't happy about losing an opportunity to hunt deer. I've tried to explain to a few of you for some time now that any change the DOW proposes is met by opposition by a segment of the hunting population. I've tried to tell you that the DOW is not in the pocket of special interest groups and the real danger is getting politicians involved...and that's what's happening. Some of you guys are pretty good at spinning the truth. Well, we're about to put deer management into the hands of those who spin shit for a living.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

This is what I believe as well.

Constituents?!? Why don't they just come out and say who they are. Fuggars! Typical political power play IMO.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Congratulations and enjoy your anniversary Mike. I don't believe you, Joe, the newspaper, and possibly even Tonk are hearing the whole story. There are some pieces missing in my opinion. Someone has their fingers in the cookie jar. I just don't know who it is pulling these strings. I find it hard to believe it is not special interest groups. Might not be, but I find it hard to believe.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You're getting what you wanted Joe. They're going to take it out of that dumbass SOB's hands and "we the people" will call the shots. You've said from the begging that the DOW is bowing to special interest groups and ignoring the hunters. And I've said from the beginning to be careful what you wish for. We, "hunters" are having our day in court. This is what you've demanded...you should be rejoicing? ...or is it just the handful of hunters who post here that should be listened to?

Wrong. Your logic is we shouldn't have screamed for someone to stop cutting off our legs because they stopped and now someone's cutting out our guts. We should have just shut up and let them cut our legs off. Mike. Do you realize how stupid that sounds??

. What I've said since the beginning is they need to quit selling out to special interest and take care of hunters. They brought it on themselves with their lies and deceit. It's hard to have a leg to stand on when you've lied for so long. Now they can't even do a 180 to fight it because its contradictory to the BS they've spouted for years. The dow pulled in the reins on the slaughter and the FB ditched them like a used up whore, favoring instead to used their political clout to get their way. It's not my fault the DOW has no credibility. They sold their own soul, if they would have done their job and educated the public on the issue, backed it up with numbers, population surveys, and fact based management plans then "hunters" would understand the issue at hand and we wouldn't be in this mess. If it was actually hunters who called in bitching then it's the dows fault, the dow is the one who screamed for years that we have too many deer. It's their fault hunters actually believed it. This is nothing we've done. They should have worked harder at telling the truth.

Last edited:

Schu72

Streetsboro
Congrats on the anniversary Mike. We will hit 15 years early this fall.

Changing these regs is like entitlement reform. Once you give people something its almost impossible to take back....