Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Have you ever get asked

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
to shoot someone's dog because they didn't want to spend the money on a vet and couldn't do it themselves? Really close friends asked me to do it the other night, tried to talk them out of it but they begged me. It was the dog's time so I did it, but didn't want to.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
to shoot someone's dog because they didn't want to spend the money on a vet and couldn't do it themselves? Really close friends asked me to do it the other night, tried to talk them out of it but they begged me. It was the dog's time so I did it, but didn't want to.

Yes, I've been asked, one was mean and bit someone, the other was bad with distemper and they weren't going to do anything. I couldn't watch it suffer anymore. I had to shoot a many of them through my younger years, hit, sick, mean, snake bit, cut by a hog etc. And we're not going to go in to the hunting dogs that never turned on. As I've gotten older it's become a more difficult task. The last one I had to put down turned mean and I had her put down at a vet about 6 years ago now. One thing this world has zero place for is a dog that bites. I don't care the reason. It's not a dogs place to bite a human, even a stranger. Do it once and you're done. The two I have now I could never, they'll go to the vet when it's time. The GF's sister has one that if he doesn't get his shit straight and stop barking at me constantly he's gonna get it.. The damn dog just doesn't like me. One of the few I've ever met in my life, most dogs I can win over. This one liked me for a while then one day he decided he didn't anymore. Now when I go over her runs around with his tail tucked barking at my every move. Me an him will have a come to Jesus talk soon. I'll take my coon dog leash (half rubber half chain) and give him a reason to hate me. He don't have to like me, but the barking is gonna stop. By the time I'm done he'll find a place to hide and piss himself when I walk in the house.

Last edited:

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
Wow, that's tough. Few years back, one of my Goldens needed put down. She couldn't get up and walk and I couldn't lift her to get her anywhere.

I debated shooting her and couldn't bring myself to do it. Luckily, my SIL wasn't working and he was able to lift her into the car to take her to the vet to be put down.

Another Golden also needed to be put down but I was alone and again, couldn't lift her in the car. I got my gun out a couple of times, but couldn't do it. Ultimately she suffered a couple of more hours before she died.

That still haunts me.

My youngest son, Eric, did put down one of our goats. It was having seizures and couldn't walk, so he shot it. I know it bothered him.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Strange you mentioned. The UPS truck hit my son's dobermon. The driver was crying and sorry but it was the dogs fault. It's back was broken so my son took it out back and put it down and buried it. THe UPS driver was so beside himself we had to call the terminal and they had to bring a new driver to bring the truck back in. He was off work 7 days but I believe he truly needed the time off.
Then there's the really funny story about my nephew putting one down when the President was in town and the Secret Service choppers are circling out back. He got scared and hid his cloths in the brush and ran back to the house. As if they wouldn't see a 300 lbs mostly naked kid running with a shotgun. OH boy. But he turned out OK.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Yep. I've killed two of them for my uncle. One was a beagle mix that my dad ran over backing out of the driveway. It crushed his ribs and could barely breathe, so I ended the struggle. The other was a mutt he had that had serious hip rot at 3 years old. I never did like that dog, but it was so strange how he knew it was his time when I put a leash on him and grabbed the gun. He looked at me almost like a human. We never stopped walking, I just put the gun to his head and slowed up a bit. Figured the least I could do was not let him know when it was coming since he seemed to know what was happening.

When it comes to my dog, ain't no way in hell I could do it myself. I'll be a mess when that day comes as is...

Buckmaster

Portage
I shot a dog chasing deer while bow hunting a few years back. Two dogs would chase deer beginning every morning from a nearby farm. Just like clockwork one morning, the deer came running by my stand with 2 dogs following 5 minutes behind. Only one dog made in home that day. The dead one got thrown into a nearby ravine. It's not something you want to do but in some cases you just have to do it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shot a dog chasing deer while bow hunting a few years back. Two dogs would chase deer beginning every morning from a nearby farm. Just like clockwork one morning, the deer came running by my stand with 2 dogs following 5 minutes behind. Only one dog made in home that day. The dead one got thrown into a nearby ravine. It's not something you want to do but in some cases you just have to do it.

Done that a time or two as well. To this day the biggest deer I have ever had a chance to shoot ran to me because of a dog, and ran off before I could shoot because of the same dog. The dog should have stopped behind the same tree the buck did...

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio

Done that to as 2 dogs chased deer out back everyday. They made the mistake of chasing a deer past me during gun season. The big one doesn't chase deer anymore. It had a collar on with name and address over 1 mile away. I waited a year and called the owner and asked it they owned a dog named Fido? Yes. Well I found a collar and pill of bones.
The Warden told me take care of the problem silently. Outside of the 44 mag noice it was a silent case solved.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have had 2 hit by cars in our own driveway. It was terrible. The only consolation was in the fact they went quick. What would be worse than running over the best dog you ever had? Being forced to finish him off.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Yeah, it's not pleasant. Years ago, we had two ShihTzus. When the time came for the first one to go, we took it to the vet to be put down. An old dog doesn't go quickly & it's very distraughtful to watch the process, the whole time you're apologizing to him. When the second time came it was in January. I was anticipating the imminent coming so at least I had a hole already dug. We already knew we'd never take another dog to the vet for this, & my wife just wanted them to die at home.... at lot cheaper TOO. I had been working midnights & when I came home in the morning, the dog was having another seizure & just laying out in the middle of the kitchen floor. I've already been begging her to let me put him down, but she held off. It's a terrible decision. She gave in this time & she said her good byes.

On another note, someone I know put down his lab who was quite old. He already dug the hole & when the time came, the dog got in the hole on it's own, laid down & covered its head with his paws. Now THAT's distraughtful !

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I almost did it for Daisy, my old beagle, last year. For some crazy reason she went into a seizure. She had never done that before. When the seizure was over she couldn't move the back half of her body for several hours. I knew her time was almost up as it was and I absolutely hated seeing her suffer. It was about 11:00 at night and I went and got the gun and started to pick her up to take her out back. I was a friggin wreck...
My wife convinced me to just make her comfortable for the night and see if she improved in the morning.

I laid next to her on the floor for a couple hours before I felt she was ready to fall asleep. While in bed I actually was hoping she would pass in her sleep so it would just be all over.

The next morning she is sitting next to my bed looking at me as if to say, "I'm ok... and you were gonna shoot me?"

She made it another 8-9 months, but then had to have her put down at the vet with kidney failure.

I don't think I would've ever rebounded if I had to do it myself.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
On another note, someone I know put down his lab who was quite old. He already dug the hole & when the time came, the dog got in the hole on it's own, laid down & covered its head with his paws. Now THAT's distraughtful !

If my dog did that I am not sure I could carry out the act. I would be in tears. Cried like a baby when the first one got under my tire. He was just "one of those dogs". It was as if he could read my mind. He minded very well. I could clear my throat, grunt, whistle, or just about make any noise and he knew what it meant. If he was in the wrong, words weren't necessary. Just a noise and he straightened up.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I thank goodness have not. That would be hard to do. Now cats...different story. Lol

Ron's put a few down in his day. Cats....that is.

ohio
That's what I do in the off season duh! Good money at the Chinese buffet!!!

But seriously I've had to do it a couple times, yeah it sucks but it is what it is

Schu72

Streetsboro
I don't think I would be able to do it. No way I could do it to my own. I just went through putting my lab of 13 years down. That was one of the hardest moments of my life. I'm not trying to be overdramatic, but I was sick with greif.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I couldn't do it to a dog unless I did not like him to start with. If the dog ever bit someone for no reason, I could put the barrel in his mouth and watch what happens.

Huckleberry Finn

A close pet of mine, no way I'd do that. A dog that bites, I wouldn't hesitate.

Haven't been asked otherwise, but in the case of a dog that's suffering, I imagine it'd be the same trigger pull as a coon or cat in a live trap, just the business and using a tool.