Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Eating bass

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Do you eat them? What do you look for when deciding to put one in the cooler?

I have only tried LM once, guy at work had it for lunch, and it wasn't bad.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I've never ate them, bass has always been a fish that has been catch and release for me. No real reason why, I usually eat panfish and throw bass back.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Always have been the same for me DJK, but figured I might keep a few this year to try. Thanks for the input beast on and willy.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
They are good early in the yr . I try to keep a bunch from my parents this time of yr . It is getting over populated with em . Way toa many 10-12" bass in there .

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
If I'm wanting fish for a meal, bass aren't even close to being near the top of my target list. There are WAY too many other better tasting fish out there, that are generally just as easy to catch.

beaston

If I'm wanting fish for a meal, bass aren't even close to being near the top of my target list. There are WAY too many other better tasting fish out there, that are generally just as easy to catch.

I remember as a kid trying bass. I thought I was eating carp so I never tried it till a few years ago when I was trying to thin some of the 1-2 pounders out of my lake in the spring time. I was more than pleasantly surprised by how tasty they were. I would rate them just as tasty as bluegill or crappie..

The summer time bass taste much different though and Yeah, I wouldnt target them for a meal either...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yes, I agree bass are very good early in the season. You guys are making my hungry with the exception of Greg wanting to talk about CPR. Lmao