Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Carrie Underwood in concert tonight

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
For Christmas my wife bought our daughter tickets for Carrie Underwood. Tonight was the concert. The house was packed. Other than our nosebleed seats, it was a great show. Hunter Hayes opened and I was making fun of him the whole time. Told my daughter it must be tough being Justin Bieber's (wannabe) country cousin. Told her I remembered when country concerts were sponsored by Wrangler, Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Justin boots but now it appears DC Shoes and KoolAid are the main sponsors.

On a serious note I will give him credit. The kid has talent. He played the piano, showed great range in his voice, and actually jammed on the guitar like a true rock star for awhile. Apparently he has been playing since he was 2yrs old and is 21 now (according to some people sitting next to us). I still wouldn't consider it country though and I hadn't heard most of his songs.

Carrie was awesome. Couldn't see her very well from our seats but she was a performer. For reference, I think the only worse seats than ours were the people looking through skylights from the roof. She had many wardrobe changes although it was hard to tell much (why didn't I bring my binoculars**###??!!*&^%$??). The house was packed and she brought the voice. Television and radio truly do not do her justice. I am always skeptical as to how doctored recordings are. In her case, I would say not very much. You could tell she wasn't lip synching given the mic pulling away at time and such. That girl belted out hit after hit after hit. Never realized how many top songs she has had. If you ever have a chance to see her it would be well worth it. I never considered myself a "fan" of her before. She is certainly gorgeous, but otherwise she was just another voice on the radio. After seeing her live, I will tell you she is amazingly talented in the vocal department.

The only other person I have seen live with this much beauty and vocal talent would be my cousin Karen. Karen's dad worked at the coal mines in SE Kentucky and protected her. She sang the Kentucky Opree, but he never let the talent scouts get their meat hooks on her until she was close to being finished with school. Her senior year she moved to FL and was part of a group making serious waves in the industry. She was a good girl though, decided she didn't like the changes they wanted her to make, and chose to move back home. She continued to play the Opree, took a job locally, and settled down. She was married young but less than 2mo after getting married she was killed in a car accident. I thought of her often tonight. It is clear God needed someone with her talent in Heaven's choir so he brought her home. I am sure her huge smile, warm personality, and big heart are happy tonight. She would have loved to hear Graci sing and watch her as Graci is learning to play the piano right now. I know she was smiling down on us as we exposed Graci to this. We all miss Karen. I guarantee you she is singing away in Heaven while my Great Grandmother is sitting close by in her rocker quilting with a smile on her face.

themedic

OHIO
Great write up! I didnt think her performance at the ACM awards was very good and she looked to skinny. But usually she cranks my tractor.

And loosing a cousin to soon is something we share in common.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks Corey. Didn't see the ACMs. What I saw on the big screen (looking at it from an angle due east of the stage), she looked healthy. Her last wardrobe change brought her out in a black concert tshirt and some cut off blue jean shorts with cowgirl boots. Sexiest outfit of the night in my opinion. She looked healthy.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
It has been several years since Karen's accident. My post wasn't necessarily for sympathy but I appreciate it. Just goes to show what an impact a "kid" (at 21) can have on so many lives. Post was mainly to say: If you have a chance to see Carrie Underwood you should. Was never really a "fan" but I can appreciate talent. That girl has some serious pipes on her. (And yes, she is easy on the eyes.)