Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What is it?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
For over 40 years I have walked by this old hunk of iron in our woods.

Over the years, I have stopped by it as I hunt down through the hard woods looking at it. Usually nudging it with my boot momentarily as if to see if it would move and woudered what it was used for or a part of. It's wheels are about a foot tall and cast iron.

There is no other iron or structure near by. There were a about a dozen old wood planks 8 ft. away in a pile but they have long since rotted. The thing must weigh a couple hundred pounds. The wheels look to be just under 3 " wide.

Anyone know what this may have been???

Thanks

The wheels might be pulleys from a piece of machinery that was belt driven by either a Hit and Miss or possibly a steam engine. I dont see a key way on the axle so that is probably not it. Might be wheel and axle to some kind of cart. Sam might know.

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I believe those are the remnants of Ric's (finelyshedded) first Rascal Mobility Scooter.:smiley_crocodile:

I agree the middle part of the axle does appear to have been hooked to some sort of shaft. Could it have been an old piece of forestry equipment? Middle of the woods? No other rails, tracks, etc around it you said.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Reminds me a little of a back axle on a machine like a Gravely. Much too heavy for that but that is what it reminds me of.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Hey CJ, in the second picture, in the middle of the "Y" yoke lookin thing, there's a hole with a square pin. Do you see that?

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I'm thinking it's $_____ worth of scrap metal

That may be the case.
Just would not want to scrap a piece of history... or with my luck, some "million dollar antique" from the industrial age.
But its probably only scrap.:smiley_beard:

Huckleberry Finn

Any old gas lines or old wells out and about? Maybe a gizmo to keep the pipe off the ground to weld it. Just a guess.

I like Phil's response! Lol

Or an old rig like this....and kind of haulin wagon
drake well.jpg

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
the more I look I do not think it is anything more than some part of a cart. The axle does not appear to have gears. The "yoke" does not appear to turn like any sort of PTO shaft or drive shaft.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Here is the top of the yoke looking down. The number 25 is on one side. I wondered if it was some type of water or well pump.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
What I don't understand is the shaft of the "yoke" is so long. Trying to decide if the yoke should face up, down or horizontal??

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Lmao Phil!!!

Know clue what it would be but I'd go with a wheel assembly for a cart as well but being that heavy makes me not totally positive.