Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

National background check bill could be "pro gun"?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
From another messageboard
Here is a provocative statement by Alan Gottlieb of the Second Amendment Foundation:

The Second Amendment Foundation’s Alan Gottlieb shared a little “inside baseball” about the recent Senate compromise on background checks ... members of the gun rights organization were in the room with Senators Joe Manchin III (D-WV) and Pat Toomey (R-PA) when they were writing their amendment, with the intention of creating a “pro-gun bill.”

“I spent hours and hours with Senator Manchin and Pat Toomey going over what’s in that bill,” Gottlieb told the crowd. .. . .

“It’s a Christmas Tree,” Gottlieb asserted, “and we just hung a million ornaments on it. We’re taking the background check and making it a pro-gun bill.”

Video of his speech is here: http://www.mediaite.com/online/watch-gu ... amendment/

Personally, I have some issues with his statement, including his support of background checks at gun shows. But it is interesting to see his perspective. Watch the video.

Fox is saying it provides for national reciprocity.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/04 ... oss-state/

National reciprocity is not enough in my book to counter mandatory background checks. However I have also seen it discussed that it may also state that a CHL carrier does not need to go through a NICS check (similar system to Tx currently). If both of those are true....I'm still torn but I dunno yet. Personally I'm enjoying the mental picture of some of the Senators attempting to not defecate masonry if this amendment is truly in it. It could be enough of a poison pill to not make it through...or it could be enough of an incentive to divide our camp.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Erosion happens over time. There should be zero compromise on this issue in my opinion. I read one thing and think "Well that wouldn't be terrible." Then I come to my senses again. We just can't compromise on the 2nd Amendment.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Erosion happens over time. There should be zero compromise on this issue in my opinion. I read one thing and think "Well that wouldn't be terrible." Then I come to my senses again. We just can't compromise on the 2nd Amendment.

The existing laws would not have protected those children and adults at Sandyhook and the new laws won't either. What are they going to do when the new laws don't work? It's a slow process of the ultimate goal. And we know what that is.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I've been hear some of the same stuff. Problem is I don't think anyone (that I trust) has really seen the bill to make informed comments about what is in it.