Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Mike's scores second deer

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I tagged another doe this evening. Story to come later. Important lesson learned. DSCF4071.jpgDSCF4072.jpg

rrr

Awww yea we've created a slaying machine!

I was getting a little blood thirsty :) You are having a helluva season!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I got to my stand at 2:45 or so. This is the same stand in Bowling Green where I took my first doe. I cut up some apples and hung them from the tree and put some on the ground on the field edge and in the tree. I was wearing my thermals and I was sweating my balls off! I spooked one deer going to my stand and then I saw three more in the crp field, but they traveled away from me. At 3:30 or so, the chain saws start up. I figured my hunt was ruined and I jokingly texted Swantucky and asked him if deer like chain saws. He instructed me to sit tight and the deer will move when they are done (thanks brother). They finished at about 5:20. Ten minutes later I hear deer behind me! I only saw a fawn at first and then mom. They were walking towards my back and when mom got close, she looked through me. She didn't wind me or see me. I couldn't believe it. She may have smelled my apple snacks. As soon as she put her head down and forward, I put my scope on her and let her walk broadside and then let her quarter a little bit. I fired at 10-15 yards and she bolted off out of the woods and into the CRP field. Damn!! I got back to the van and waited for 1 hour and then went to look for her. The blood trail was thick and I had no problem finding her. She died in the crp field. The arrow broke in half. The fletching side was at the point where I hit her and the broadhead side was still inside her. I hit her heart and one lung. Oh, I used the scent smoker TOO.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I got to my stand at 2:45 or so. This is the same stand in Bowling Green where I took my first doe. I cut up some apples and hung them from the tree and put some on the ground on the field edge and in the tree. I was wearing my thermals and I was sweating my balls off! I spooked one deer going to my stand and then I saw three more in the crp field, but they traveled away from me. At 3:30 or so, the chain saws start up. I figured my hunt was ruined and I jokingly texted Swantucky and asked him if deer like chain saws. He instructed me to sit tight and the deer will move when they are done (thanks brother). They finished at about 5:20. Ten minutes later I hear deer behind me! I only saw a fawn at first and then mom. They were walking towards my back and when mom got close, she looked through me. She didn't wind me or see me. I couldn't believe it. She may have smelled my apple snacks. As soon as she put her head down and forward, I put my scope on her and let her walk broadside and then let her quarter a little bit. I fired at 10-15 yards and she bolted off out of the woods and into the CRP field. Damn!! I got back to the van and waited for 1 hour and then went to look for her. The blood trail was thick and I had no problem finding her. She died in the crp field. The arrow broke in half. The fletching side was at the point where I hit her and the broadhead side was still inside her. I hit her heart and one lung. Oh, I used the scent smoker TOO.

The good old Smoke and Poke. ;).. Great story.. Did she give you the old nose in the air, look around, then go right on about her business?

rrr

I figured my hunt was ruined and I jokingly texted Swantucky and asked him if deer like chain saws. He instructed me to sit tight and the deer will move when they are done (thanks brother).

It's great have that wisdom at your fingertips! Next time you get cold, text Milo!

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I think I am going to need to hang some cut apple snacks from a tree. did you here about that somewhere, or did you think of this yourself? It seems to be working out well.

I read that rubbing an apple on rough bark works, but I just started cutting up apples and putting them in the trees like it was Christmas.