Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Remington...ugh.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Well I have made my last Remington purchase a few months ago. They had some closed door meetings after declaring interest in moving out of NY because of the new draconian gun laws being introduced. They came out of the backroom with an $80 million contract for less than 5,000 rifles and 4.85 million rounds. That is the max that has to be produced in the contract. It is on an as needed basis.

Basically, Remington said they may leave if the new laws were introduced. They were and Remington took federal money to stay. If this is something that you are not happy with please let them know.

https://www.facebook.com/remingtonarmscompany

info@remington.com

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
ILION, N.Y. — Remington Arms will be staying in the Mohawk Valley for the foreseeable future. Two days after sources say Remington Officials met with three State Senators and three Assembly, U.S. Congressman Richard Hanna announced that the Pentagon would be awarding Remington an $80 million contract.
In the meeting, sources say, Remington told the State lawmakers that they were moving forward with a $20 million upgrade to their plant that employs 1,200 people.
Hanna said that the contract calls for Remington to make more than 5,000 sniper rifles and millions of rounds over the next 10 years for the U.S. Special Operations Command.
Concerns were raised about the company's future in Herkimer County after the Legislature passed a law banning the sale of military-style rifles, including the Bushmaster product made at the Remington plant. Since the law was passed in mid-January, other states have shown interest in having Remington relocate the plant.

Read more: http://www.wham1180.com/pages/localnews.html?article=11042313#ixzz2QIUUR0GJ

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Hate to say it, but I was not such a Remington fan after my last shotgun purchase over 5yrs ago. It is nice and functions properly, but nothing like the older ones. Clunky action, poor finish. . . . what I am reading above further cements my opinion. Sad.

Huckleberry Finn

I'm a Remington guy, but like Phil said, the newer 870's are a little chincy.

Anyways, what companies have actually moved? Magpul? I heard that PT(and a vowel) out of Conn was moving... anyone else? I hope one of the big's like Beretta moves, but I was confident that Big Green wouldn't.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
My first gun was a Remington 572. Off the top of my head I own 3 Remington shotguns and 4 Remington rifles, countless rounds of ammo. They just went to the bottom of my list when making gun related purchases.

Remember Remington is part of Cerberus so Marlin, bushmaster, dpms, Barnes etc.are the same company.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Do Liberals think through what they do? NY just gave Remington Arms a very lucrative contract to stay in NY. Remington Arms is owned by Cerberus which also owns Bushmaster. Bushmaster made the rifle used in Newtown. So NY state government just rewarded the company that made the rifle used in Newtown with a lucrative contract:smiley_confused_vra

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Take off 5million for ammo, leaves 75 million divide by 5000 and we're paying 15 fucking thousand dollars per rifle
my goddamned money
wasted
again
sumbich better have gold leaf and shit on it

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
One marlin one glenfield bought my son an 870 for his 16th birthday... Thinking of calling him and saying it was lost and need too find something else!!!! He might have a slightly used savage in his future... Buncha fuggin assholes selling us out....

No skin off of my ass with Remington. I've owned their rifles and shotguns in the past and had my share of repair work sent to Remington repair centers. :smiley_arrogant: However, they do make excellent tomato stakes.

All my rifles are Savage. Never had the first problem and the combination of lower cost and increased accuracy will keep me purchasing their products for years to come. My shotguns are either Russian Baikal or Mossberg...and the same can be said for both of these companies, low cost and improved function.

Bowhunter57

Ghunter

Fug them. I only shoot savage rifles. I did own a nice 700VLS but I ended up selling that one. Todays 700 actions feel like sand paper.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Take off 5million for ammo, leaves 75 million divide by 5000 and we're paying 15 fucking thousand dollars per rifle
my goddamned money
wasted
again
sumbich better have gold leaf and shit on it

Dan,

That is just the max. They will NEVER produce that many. It was payoff money. These rifles are tagged for "Special Forces". Our SF will not go through 5k rifles in 10 years especially considering they are running the same platform currently. They could make 200 rifles and 2,000 rounds of ammo and still get paid the 80 million.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Gee Charles, thanks for adding insult to injury rotflmao

It just KILLS me thinking about how we bust our asses to make a living and are forced to give our money away to be so grossly and unethically managed.