Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Atv q&a

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Getting ready to buy a used quad to make my life and hobbies easier . Anything I should look out for ? Found a Polaris sportsman 700 I am pretty sure I am gonna buy but don't wanna make a mistake . Its a 2004 . Also lookin at a couple Yamaha400s in the same yr and price range . I am wanting a utility with selectable2 or 4wd

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Buy the Yamaha. Or a Honda. I'm not a fan of Polaris quads, especially the older ones. Can't go wrong with a Yamaha.

Biggest thing is to ask if its been wrecked, flooded out, and how it was used. I'd never buy a used quad from me because I use and abuse my shit. You can tell it TOO just by looking at my bike. Some people spray them off every time it gets slightly muddy and baby them. Look for those hidden gems. In other words, buy from a city slicker! lmao

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Just a suggestion, have you ever considered a side by side? I have a 700 Rhino and I did the 4-wheeler thing. I enjoyed my 4 wheeler, but I love my side by side. It's great for hunting, utility and trail riding. They are reasonably priced, compared to the high end 4 wheelers. Good luck in choosing.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have a Honda Rancher 400 which fits your needs I would consider selling. Selectable 4x4 or 2x4 as well as automatic or push button shift. Just put new tires on it. It is a 2006 and I only have in the 500-700 mile neighborhood on my odometer. Never really used it off roading. Bought it with around 300 miles from a guy that took it to the Wayne several times and I have used it to plow snow, haul deer, hang stands, pull an aerator, etc. Shoot me a PM if interested. If I sold it I would be buying a side by side and probably keep my 2003 Yamaha with similar miles and usage.

Guarantee you will find a Polaris cheaper, but you will be money ahead in repairs and the Honda/Yamaha lines will hold their value.

Derek j

Knox Co.
I have a Yamaha Kodiak 400 that I love. More power and torque than I will ever need, great speed, All around good quad. I got it for a great price and then camo'd it for hunting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365759482.966385.jpg

If you want one for just riding around and for hunting, you can't go wrong with Yamaha or Honda. Good machines.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Thanks guys . I dunno if a SXS would be the greatest for me . I will be using it a lot trailerin it places to pull a trailer into fields to haul blinds and goose decoys . Also using it to pull a swisher mower in my yd .

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
A SbyS isn't for every one, but very handy around the yard. I use mine every day. When it comes to all of my outdoor recreations, it does it all. I don't have 6,000 miles on mine for nothing. I just wanted to give you some food for thought. The one asset that it has, that I appreciate is you can have a buddy or wife tagging along, without them riding bitch. Lol. Hope you the best on your decision.