Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Crappies!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
If any of you like to catch crappie, get out there NOW! Mason, and buddy and I went Sunday afternoon. We got 60-70 most of them were smaller fish. With the warm weather over the last couple of days I had a hunch today would be pretty good with bigger fish moving up into the shallows. The water has warmed from 44 to 55 since Sunday, and the big crappies are definately moving up. My buddy Dean and I fished today, kept just 20 or so, but each one was over 12"! If you like easy fishing, jump in a boat!

I've been reading fishing reports about good and/or great crappie fishing in a lot of lakes.

Grand Lake St. Marys hasn't been fished for 4 years, due to the algae problems and the warnings due to it. I've talked to several guys that are absolutely slaying the crappie and catching walleye that are going 4# and up.

However, they're doing the same thing at Indian Lake and I'd feel more comfortable eating the fish from there, than GLSM. I'm going to try to get out this weekend, but a lot will depend on the weather changes coming with these rain storms, etc.

Bowhunter57

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
The weather may put a damper on things for the next couple of days, then again maybe not. I won't get out until Saturday at least and likely won't then. But Sunday I should find a little time to go. Great time of year!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
Good to hear the Crappie fishing is heating up. I'm planning on a little boat maintenance and installing new seats this weekend. After that I'm going to try to get out as much as possible.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Was planning to get out today. This weather thought otherwise. I dont mind fishing in the rain, but i would have to take the toddler with me. The last thing I need is for her to get sick. But when the weather clears up, its on like donkey kong.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm really wishing this front had not come in. I have no idea how it's going to affect them today and won't be able to go tomorrow either, but I do plan to get after them on Sunday. Paint Creek is back up to summer pool right now so we can get up in the creeks. Reports are good from Paint Creek too. SO many choices, so little time...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
No, Don, I did not. He called the other day and said he needed to order another wiring harness. I'm gonna be into it for about 250 when done. I told him to find me another motor too, so I'll be selling a completely rebuilt unit shortly. Aint boats grand....

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason's best friend, his father, Mason and I went yesterday. We killed 'em. We kept about 30 between 10"and 13". It was a pretty good day, probably caught well over 100 total with quite a few small fish mixed in. Its that time of year, they will eat whatever you get in front of them.

Attachments

• Paint-20130414-00713.jpg
    Paint-20130414-00713.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 122

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Got 'em yesterday too, Ric. The wind made the main lake too rough to fish, so everyone was packed into the few coves and bays available. I could hear guys grumbling about catching few, and the ones they were getting were all small. Just a different look was all they wanted - a tube jig snapped under a tiny bobber turned 'em on. Kept 15 between 11 and 131/2 in an hour and a half on a "bad" day. Anyone that gets serious about crappies knows sometimes they just want something different....and it isn't always a minnow! :)

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Awesome haul Brock! Dang, that fish you fried up at the TOO hunt was damn good! Can't wait till the next one this October!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
It appears Mason's buddy has gotten the crappie bug since our trip last weekend. His dad sent me this pic this afternoon. He went crappie fishing from the bank while we were out turkey hunting this morning. Looks like he did ok. They said this batch was all between 11" and 13".

Attachments

• 0420131524-00.jpg
    0420131524-00.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 134

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
got out for a few this morning. The cold front must have shut em down. didnt see anybody catching anything. might try a little later this afternoon.