Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Smith and Wesson Shield ?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Anyone have any thoughts on the smith and Wesson shield? Been looking at them online so far trying too make up my mind on whet too get... Seems too be way too many choices lol...

Huckleberry Finn

M&P's are great guns as a general rule of thumb. I was actually thinking this morning about looking at a Shield...

I think ArcherTL has shot one...

Yea, I shot one in .40 I feels like any other MP compact but thinner. The trigger is decent and the sights are good. I like it a lot more than Jessie's Wather PPS. If I could find two in 9mm I'd sell the PPS and get two Shields for us. The 9mm shields are nonexistent out here. The PPS is almost twice as much as the Shield maybe less after the S&W Military rebate. The only thing we like about the PPS is how thin it is. I don't like that the shield comes with a safety. this is a training issue for me because all my other handguns are safety-less. But the M&P safety is not hard to disable. Additional magazines are kind of expensive for the Shield but that can be said for a lot of other compacts. The floating pinky extention on the 8 round shield magazine is a joke and Id take it off. The only other compact auto that interests me is the XDs 9.

Last edited:

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I like the Shield but prefer the XDS and Kahrs over them...not by much. The Shield would serve anyone well. I recommend going to a gun shop and dry firing:

Kahr CM9
XDS 9 (if available)
Shield
Beretta Nano

One will "speak" to you.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Good advice Charles I'll be doing that here shortly...

Now between the 9 and 40 what's your opinions? Leaning toward the 9 bit would like too hear your opinions one way or the other...

Since my surgery my grip strength is about half what it used too be its coming along but not sure if it'll ever be 100%....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Good advice Charles I'll be doing that here shortly...

Now between the 9 and 40 what's your opinions? Leaning toward the 9 bit would like too hear your opinions one way or the other...

Since my surgery my grip strength is about half what it used too be its coming along but not sure if it'll ever be 100%....

I switched to all 9mm and sold my 40's:

Softer shooting (By far IMHO)
Cheaper ammo
Larger capacity for same size firearm
REALLY close terminal ballistics when comparing rounds

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Thanks Charles, was leaning toward the 9 bit was still on the fence.... Cost was a concern and a available ammo was another... But my buddy shoots a nine and have shot his a few times and we'll get some dies since we'll both have the rounds too reload ...

Amazes me how many people throw their brass away...

"J",
I agree with Beentown on all of the 40 issues.

I have the M&Pc in 9mm and love it. I carry it more than any other weapon that I've owned. Accurate, reliable & easy to hide.

When I purchased my M&Pc, only 1 of the mags had the magazine floor plate extension. However, if you call or e-mail Smith & Wesson, they will send you a free one for your other magazine...just for the asking. Actually, they sent me two. :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Not meaning to throw a booger in the soup but I have always been an automatic guy. Recently I purchased Jessica a Smith & Wesson airweight 642 revolver in 38 spl +p. I have been carrying it the past three days IWB. I am telling you I will be hard-pressed when she gets her CCW to cram my 45 back down my pants. For years I have carried a Taurus millennium Pro in 45. It is a very subcompact 45 still capable of carrying 10+1. Matter-of-fact it is only a quarter inch wider and three-quarter inch longer than the shield. It is however 3 ounces heavier than the shield. 22oz vs 19oz. The airweight is only 14oz. After realizing what a dream it has been to carry that revolver I am going to be very hard-pressed to go back to my auto. Giving up six rounds of 45 is a little on the hard side But I'm not going to miss that 8 ounces of gun weight plus the extra weight in 45 rounds at all. For you the give is 5 ounces of gun weight at a price of only four 9 mm rounds. With concealed carry it always seems to be a give-and-take. After carrying this revolver for the past three days I am more than willing to give-and-take. The odds of us needing our CCW is very very slim. The odds of us needing more than five rounds of 38 +p is even slimmer than that. The first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun, And let's face it CCW is a pain in the ass. There will be another airweight purchase in my future.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent points Joe. I am currently carrying a Kahr CW9 in a Crossbreed holster. It is nice but in all reality, I only gain 2 rounds and a chance malfunction with a semi-auto. The 642 Airweight in a Galco Jakslide is still probably my favorite carry combination. When I carry the 642 there is zero doubt it is going to go bang when I need it to. Whenever I carry a semi-auto there is always a slight bit of doubt.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Joe no problem, I'm pretty ignorant with dealing with handguns and am looking for opinions on all models... I've liked the looks of the shield but like the idea of speed loaders as well lol....

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Joe no problem, I'm pretty ignorant with dealing with handguns and am looking for opinions on all models... I've liked the looks of the shield but like the idea of speed loaders as well lol....

I think you should check it out also. With the DeSantis pocket holster carried IWB it disappeared on her strong side carry. (Just checking fit in the house ;) )

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365546920.792647.jpg

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Oh. And as far as recoil with +P loads. Jessica's niece fired about 15 rounds before she had enough.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365547155.008607.jpg

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
It's easier to tell looking at her boobs than looking for the outline of a gun. lmao. Right handed btw. Lol.

Gotta say joe this is the first time I've ever been told too look at a guys girlfriends boobs by the boyfriend hahaha

Going too hit the gun stores too fondle some guns lol....

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Just for an opposing view...

I have tried carrying all of the revolvers but they are just too dang wide for me. The Kahr has converted anyone that I have loaned them out TOO.

Here is why:

- Lighter than most
- 7 rounds with extended mag IWB is over the top comfy compared to others, especially revolvers
- 6 round mag and you are pocket carrying with ease without the "bump" which also gets in the way while drawing.
- They distribute their weight better holstered.

Where revolvers win:

- They just flat go bang. Never had a failure with my Kahrs but statistically/mechanically revolvers win in reliability. No tap, rack, bang needed...ever.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Never carried a kahr. Thought I would take some side by sides compared to the mil pro

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365560712.203802.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365560727.087327.jpg

This shot is with the bottom of the handles and the back straps lined up. The smith doesn't even cover the slide lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365560740.218653.jpg

As mentioned earlier. The price for so much less weight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365560836.981002.jpg