Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

GPS tracking collars

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Anyone ever run the tracking collars on their dogs? The guy I just got my 2 beagles from had them and really pumped them up saying they were the best thing since sliced bread.... Seem too work pretty good but holly cow the price tag on them are crazy...

Anyone have them on any dogs they're running?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My buddy runs one on his dog. It is pretty slick. Not much of a benefit when we are tracking deer as the dogs are required to be leashed by law. When he is shed hunting though it really is amazing to see the ground covered and look at the overview to see any areas we have possibly missed. If your dog got lost you would sure be glad you had a tracking collar on her.

Jamie

Ohio
I use one on squirrel dog, and it is very helpful, especially down in southern Ohio in the hills. is nice to know exactly where dog is when he is 800 yards and three ridges away. you can find them used in servicable condition. that's how I got mine. bought both Astro 220 receiver and DC 30 collar used. I have a little over $300 in the whole thing. if I were starting over, I would have gotten the Garmin Alpha. combination shocking collar/gps tracking all in one. Tritronics classic 70 shocking collar is over $300 new, and I just got one. for a few dollars more I could have had an Alpha. lots of guys dumping their old collars and going to the Alpha system. search google and you'll find use collars/receivers for half the cost of new, perhaps less.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Cool thanks Jamie.... Always good too get reviews from trusted sources....

Hoot, why am I not surprised rotflmao

Jamie

Ohio
Cool thanks Jamie.... Always good too get reviews from trusted sources....

Hoot, why am I not surprised rotflmao

I'm not sure I would consider me a trustable source for anything, though I'm usually fair and honest...LOL

bluedog

I am going to get a couple GPS/training collars as soon I get brave enough to plop down that chunk of change. I actually need two collars and seems like I might as well get the GPS trainers. Has anyone used the SportDog GPS collars? I know all about the minuses of SportDog vs the Garmin as far as the mapping feature and I would LOVE to get the Garmin instead, but $200 is a lot of money that I can save by going with SportDog. And while the fancy maps on the garmin are sooperty dooperty cool, at the end of the day, what I really want is to be able to find my dog. I've also heard that the SportDog GPS collars are a little smaller (better) for small beagles which is all three of mine (especially my new one that only weighs 17 pounds). OH, I have been running SportDog training collars on my beagles since I started this crazy obsession over 5 years ago and have been extremely happy with both the collars and the customer service. I busted the charging port off my 5 year old SportDog collar this past season and they sold me a replacement receiver for $45 (they are $200 new), which worked great until I did not put it on a collar strap correctly and the receiver got lost in the brush and brambles in parts unknown. *stupid stupid stupid me*

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bluedog I'm going too start looking for either used collars or remanufactered ones for the savings.. The guy I got the beagles off of had a 3 dog system and its the first time I've seen it in work and gotta say I was thouroly impressed with it... You knew exactly where they were real time... And it showed all 3 collars with great accuracy... He ran the Harmon's but also dropped a lot of money on it but it was his only hobby as well... He worked and chased bunnies and did it 3-4 days a week....

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I wish I had a GPS collar for Hank. I have a Tritronics Classic 70. It is nice when he is off the leash but I really do my best just to use it as a safety net. He should respond to my commands, not getting lit up. lol

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the 6 dog system Phil and I'll sell it too get the GPS/Training collar if I can find a deal that is....

JPN

coshocton
One of my buddies has tracking collars on his coon dogs. They are awesome. I'm not sure which brand he has tho. Ill have to ask him.

bluedog

I really need to do something soon. I have 3 dogs and 1 working collar. Today they ran a rabbit up the creek bottom. I ended up following the sound of the dogs by walking up my road until I saw the rabbit cross the road 1/2 mile from my house. At least I knew right where to intercept them.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bluedog, I don't know what I'd do without he training collars... Nothing better than havin you dogs on a 1 mile long leash....

If I can find a deal on the tracking/training collars I'llmake you a deal on the collars I'm running... They're a thee dog system expandable too 6....

bluedog

Bluedog, I don't know what I'd do without he training collars... Nothing better than havin you dogs on a 1 mile long leash....

If I can find a deal on the tracking/training collars I'llmake you a deal on the collars I'm running... They're a thee dog system expandable too 6....

Thanks, but I AM going to pull the trigger on the GPS collars. I just need to do it. I only need two. Buddy and Gabby are always glued together at the hip and so only one needs to wear one (the other can have the plain training collar) and Dottie can have her own GPS collar since she is my little "ADD" dog and sometimes goes off on her own. I've got it all figured out. :)

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Blue dog we use them on our 7 coyote dogs, the are the best thing since sliced bread. Load the Birdseye map into them and you can tell Evey inch the dog has covered and every time the dog over runs or misses a track or where the yote is going. We hunt sections after section in NW Ohio and haven't glossed or worried about a dog ever since a very good investment. Don't know how we kept track of them without it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jake, that's what's gotten me interested no more doubt where they are at any given time...

What brand of collars are you running?

yotehunter

spencerville oh
Garmin alpha 3 this is are 3rd year with them I also use them on my coonhounds. It is so much more enjoyable then wondering were the dogs went or how close to the road the are. I also will run them on dogs I'm looking at buying cuz you sure can tell every move a dog makes and with a coondog that is a major plus . They are a bit salty but well worth the investment . Go to vargys coyote hunting website and check out the classifieds on there, many good new and used collars and systems on there.its also a wonderful hounds man sight.

Jamie

Ohio
www.c-over-acres-inc.com/

this guy makes the nicest dog collars I've ever seen. heavy duty brass hardware, and the collar material is unlike anything you've ever seen. not sure what it is exactly, but it's like a kevlar reinforced urethan rubber. stays supple when it's cold, doesn't hold water like leather or nylon collars. this collar might last longer than me. he sells a variety of lead straps, and electronics, too. prices very reasonable, great guy to deal with.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Jamie, looks like the collars that Tri-Tronics use on their training collars (I have 3 of them) and your right they are almost indestructable..... :smiley_coolpeace: