Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Lost our dog

Schu72

Streetsboro
We lost our dog this past Friday to suspected cancer. He was a failthful companion to us for just over 13 years. Although we knew he was starting to have some health issues and at 13 he was starting to run short on time, I was truely unprepared for how quickly his condition spiralled on Friday. It was one of the most difficult days and toughest decisions I have ever faced. Eventhough the last few days have been very painful, the 13 years we shared together were wonderful and wouldn't trade them for anything. Love your pets and cherish the time you have with them.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
I went thru a similar thing a couple years ago and it was hard for my son cause he spent the most time with our dog. I ended up having her put down at the vet. Good luck with your kids getting thru a difficult time.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Dang Scott sorry too hear this.... Most of us have been there some of us numerous times and it never gets easy.... Too bad we can't get them too have our kind of life span life would be so much better.....

Schu72

Streetsboro
Losing him has been particularly hard on my wife. She was the one who was with him as his condition deteriorated and she felt like he was mad at her for taking him to the vet. I left work and was there with them both at the end. I know it was the right thing to do, but was still very difficult. His memories still dominate my thoughts.

Huckleberry Finn

Been there done that, it's always hard. The decision is never an easy one, but we can be thankful when it's a clear one...

Sorry for your loss. I had a Springer for 14 years and when he was failing it was the hardest decision I have ever made. My kids grew up with him also. My family could not be there in the room when he was put to sleep. I held him as he looked at me and in my heart the way he looked at me I knew it was ok. He was ready. It was very tough. I got another Springer when he was 12 and now I'm near another time. This one is 10, and having some health issues. Just remember a dog is happiest to serve us and we need to treat them like they are family.