Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Did anyone else see .....

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My wife & I were out doing yard work today & around noon time, she yelled at me to get my attention as I was up the hill behind the house & when I turned around, there was what I believe a C17 military cargo jet bearing down on us. This thing was flying very low & I never heard it until I looked up. I had the stereo blasting away in the garage. Still, these can sneak up on you when they're flying fast. As low as this was, she first thought it was going to crash since her view was thru the trees. Mine was TOO, but it was very impressive. It was heading north & it went right over us.

I didn't take this pic, but this was the size of it from my view.

The four Pratt and Whitney F117-PW-100 turbofans that are on the C-17 are pretty quite compared to other engines in its class. J will belong shortly to tell you how real planes have propellers and all that BS. I've enjoyed my time working on them.
Here are some pictures I have taken.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
lol... Tom I realize every plane can't have props you have too have some heavies land at the major airports... Just leave the short fields too us prop guys hahaha...

Cool aircraft, for certain! :smiley_bril:

I've had C-130s fly over me, when I was fishing near Mohican State Park and you'd swear that they were only a few feet above the treetops. When you'd see them bank in a turn, you'd wonder how they could stay aloft, due to how slow they appeared to fly. I've been in the flight tower at Mansfield with my cousin, who was a Lt. Col. of that fleet of Air Nat. Guard. Very interesting aircraft to watch their "touch & goes", from the flight tower.

Bowhunter57

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
J's C-130s fly low over me pretty regularly. Hard to miss:smiley_coolpeace:

Got buzzed by a low flying Tomcat back around 1980. Scared the crap out a me:tantrum:lmao
That pilot was a local boy showing off for the hometown.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Had a jet fly over the other day while giving an estimate in Celina. They said they used to hear them daily but lately it has been daily. Makes you wonder why the sudden change in frequency.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
At least my plane doesnt require a milk stool to be placed under the ramp to load it.

Let me know when they get pictures of C-17 landing on an aircraft carrier then we'll talk lol... The 17's have their place in the fleet but they're the loudmouth youngins who haven't stood the test of time yet... Lol plus you gotta admit cannons sticking g out the left side of a C-17 would look strange as hell lol...

Ghunter

You think a 17 is big wait till you have a C-5 fly over. I work at the airport in Akron and last oct we had a 17 in just about every other day for all the election stuff man I pumped a lot of fuel on them. We had 8 Blackhawks in yesterday for some fuel. Looked like a bunch of flys on the horizon.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Blackhawks are something as well. Took a passenger seat in one many years ago during some night manuevers. Those things can pull some g's.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
You think a 17 is big wait till you have a C-5 fly over. I work at the airport in Akron and last oct we had a 17 in just about every other day for all the election stuff man I pumped a lot of fuel on them. We had 8 Blackhawks in yesterday for some fuel. Looked like a bunch of flys on the horizon.

I live 20 miles from Wright Pat and about 10 from Springfield airbase. When I first moved here in 2005 it seemed like they flew the C5 everyday. Round and round in circles doing touch and go. I'm on the approach path for WP so it was a daily occurrence to hear them flying low and feathering the throttle. Now however since 2008 and the budget issues I rarely see them flying over. I see more drones than I do heavies anymore. They're flown out of Springfield airbase. Airforce motto. Put a big enough wing and engine on it and anything will fly. Lol.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Cool aircraft, for certain! :smiley_bril:

I've had C-130s fly over me, when I was fishing near Mohican State Park and you'd swear that they were only a few feet above the treetops. When you'd see them bank in a turn, you'd wonder how they could stay aloft, due to how slow they appeared to fly. I've been in the flight tower at Mansfield with my cousin, who was a Lt. Col. of that fleet of Air Nat. Guard. Very interesting aircraft to watch their "touch & goes", from the flight tower.

Bowhunter57

Boy that ain't no crap! I work about a mile from Wright Patt and I'm constantly seeing these bigass planes that look like they're just hanging in the sky, almost barely moving and I'm thinking "go go cmon go" :smiley_crocodile:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Take a Cessna and a C-5 take them too the same airspeed and separate them and one looks likes its flying around normal and the other looks like its about too fall out of the sky lol... See it all the time and Joe the F-4 was proof positive that if you mount enough horsepower on a rock it'll fly!!!!! lol