Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Shotgun Scope?

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I need to buy a scope for a 20 gauge BPS I am setting up for the kids to use during deer gun season. On my deer gun, I have had a 1-4 X 20 Leupold for years and it has treated me well. I usually leave it set on the 2x magnification setting for most of my setups, so I have been looking at the 2-7 or 8 magnification scopes for the 20 gauge.
I seem to be leaning towards two scopes, a Nikon 2-7 X 32 shotgun BDC and a Leupold 2-7 X 33 shotgun. Anybody have any of these? I like the fact that the Leupold is made in the US and has a lifetime warranty.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoo...=SBC;MMcat104792580;cat104752080;cat104535180

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/...un-hunter-bdc-scope-black-matte.aspx?a=879873

If not, what scope do you use on your shotgun? Any other suggestions?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have the leupold 2x7x33 and I like it, didn't kill a deer this year with it but kills paper pretty good... Well that is when I do the right thing lol...

Also check out midway USA prices, that's where I found mine....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have no experience with those two scopes, so I cannot offer much in that regard. However since this is for the kids, my suggestion would be a quality red dot. I like the red dots for simplicity's sake and have had a few good ones. I bought the Vortex StrikeFire for my AR and love it so far. I think it would make a great shotgun sight. Just food for thought...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Heck I don't have a scope on my shotgun and never have. I clicked on them both. Personally, I have had good luck with Nikon and Leupold but no experience with either of these two. If you are a Club Member at SG, the price dropped to $143. I think I have a coupon for another $10 off. At $133 for that scope, I am halfway considering one. lmao

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I have similar models from both companies. The only major difference that I can see between them is the Leupold has less adjustment in wind age and elevation. It was enough that I couldn't get it zeroed on my Encore. Now maybe the Leupold has more robust internals that limits the adjustment, but I have no way of knowing.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
All good advice.

Only thing I would add is if you do ever lean toward a red dot get one that sits low. Ones like the Strikefire sit awfully high for a normal shotgun cheek weld. Models like the Doctor Optic, Burris FastFire, Bushnell TRS-25 and the Speed Bead allow you to keep your head down.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Thanks for your input guys. The red dot is a good idea, but my kids + batteries = bad idea, haha.

I am really leaning towards the Nikon due to the good club member price at SG and not hearing any negative feedback. I'll have to see if I have received one of those coupons too that I can use.