Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Your prefered turkey call?

Which turkey call is your prefered call of choice?

• Total voters

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Forgive me if I missed a thread about this. I see threads about mouth calls, or specific calls. I didn't see any about all varieties of calls. Last year was my first year turkey hunting. Hunt was all I did. Sure didn't do any killing or even shooting. Seems I saw them in full strut and mating a month before the season. I had a push/pull box call, and a slate call. I thought I did "okay" with them but if the birds aren't in the area and you never have a chance to interact with them I guess I really don't know. That said, I bought some mouth calls last weekend. I am going to try them. Probably not use them in season, but I will be practicing as much as possible. Tonight my buddy gave me a handmade box call. I was floored. It is sweet!

Seems like I have one of every type of call now and need to figure out which one will work best for me. I was hoping you guys with more experience could share experiences about which ones are your "go to" calls and which ones stay in your pocket.

Might as well make it a poll while we are at it. That might be a telling stat for anyone else green like myself.

Huckleberry Finn

Box call is my favorite, but the Keystone Wedge (slate) is a quick second.

For beginners, push calls are good. And for anyone, operating two different toned push calls at the same time can be a good technique.

With whatever call, don't overall; and remember that even if you don't sound pitch perfect, the rhythm is the key.

I use a diaphram call, almost exclusively (double reed), but there are times when a box call is needed for volume to reach turkeys in the distance. I've always enjoyed "screwing" with the critters by using my own voice to mimic their sounds and it's something that I've been doing all my life. :smiley_blink:

Although they can be somewhat dangerous, I'd like to purchase a gobble call, this year. Used at the right time, a gobble call can shock the toms into answering and thus giving away their location. However and for the same use, I use a crow call...more often than not, to shock call turkeys.

There are some pretty nice push box calls with clucks and purrs, that I'd like to own too.

This should prove to be an interesting season, as I intend to take one with my bow. :smiley_chinrub:
Bowhunter57

Huckleberry Finn

Although they can be somewhat dangerous, I'd like to purchase a gobble call, this year. Used at the right time, a gobble call can shock the toms into answering and thus giving away their location. However and for the same use, I use a crow call...more often than not, to shock call turkeys.

I've always thought (and was taught by a guy that did get shot turkey hunting) that using a gobbler call in season was a great way to get shot. Crow calls, peacock calls, goose calls, a car horn, will all get a shock gobbler and are much safer.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I carry a box, slate (friction), and a handful of different diaphragms. Hands down, I prefer a diaphragm. In terms of ease of use, any dummy can run a box call. Box calls are also great for long range calling like 57 stated. However they involve lots of motion and that is a no no is turkey hunting, so their usage is limited. Friction calls calls are great for producing purrs and sharp cuts that I have trouble getting from a diaphragm. I carry a Primos Jackpot crystal call to give me a "second bird" in my vest. Having this call gives me a distinct second sounding bird that can throw out certain sounds I simply can't make with my mouth. But at the end of the day, I like a diaphragm best do to its hands free, no motion, ease of use. I am no champ caller and never will be, but I called in my '11 bird with just a Primos double reed and that tells me I'm good enough to fool the ones that matter!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Excellent input so far. Thanks for explaining the reasons why you use them too. Sounds like I should continue practicing with the mouth calls. In season I think I will take the box call, friction/slate, and push/pull box. Last year I had it setup so I could use the push/pull IF I had them in close. Just never got the chance to use it.

In the meantime, I will keep practicing while at the computer or driving with the mouth calls.

Huckleberry Finn

Excellent input so far. Thanks for explaining the reasons why you use them too. Sounds like I should continue practicing with the mouth calls. In season I think I will take the box call, friction/slate, and push/pull box. Last year I had it setup so I could use the push/pull IF I had them in close. Just never got the chance to use it.

In the meantime, I will keep practicing while at the computer or driving with the mouth calls.

Yup just take 'em all. Some mornings the birds will like one over the other.

Big H

Medina
I will empty my vest out before season starts and try to remember to post a pic. I'll never forget my dad's face when I emptied my vest at the cabin the night before season a few years ago. I had 8+ mouth calls, a custom made box call, 4 or 5 slate calls (different surfaces), a push button call, several locator calls ranging from a coyote howler to an owl call, 12 different strikers, an umbrella and some other stuff like brush clippers etc ... He said "what the f^*# do you need with all that?" I told him I liked being prepared LOL

I lost my favorite glass call a few years ago, it was a custom made double glass. A guy in NW Ohio made it, Pete something?, I now have a new glass that was made in Kentucky and it is my go to call to get shit started. I usually "finish" the bird with a mouth call.