Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

New show?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I just saw an advertisment on the History Channel for a show that starts April 11. It's called Chasing Tail. I think it's about bowhunting in the suburbs. Anyone else seen the advertisment?

Huckleberry Finn

Soooo what does that have to do with History? I would have liked my history degree a hell of a lot more if we would have taken bow hunting 101!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think it could go either way. It could bring more into the fold, or it could be a huge turn-off. Its really going to depend on how its done.

The History Channel no long shows much history...

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Yea I seen it. Immediately I thought that if it's a well put together show and not distateful that it could open peoples eyes to the problem of urban deer numbers. Maybe guys get more access. Maybe city officials rethink some of their idiotic "solutions". Then another part of me thinks they'll make a mockery of it a totally turn people off

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Yea I seen it. Immediately I thought that if it's a well put together show and not distateful that it could open peoples eyes to the problem of urban deer numbers. Maybe guys get more access. Maybe city officials rethink some of their idiotic "solutions". Then another part of me thinks they'll make a mockery of it a totally turn people off

Ditto....My thoughts TOO Red!

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio

That's what scares me. Depending on what angle the producer takes with this type of program, it could be either helpful or harmful. Let's hope they paint the hunter's in a positive light.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I'm holding high hopes that it is a positive reflection. I think they have done a pretty good job with Swamp People. I'd guess there is a lot more interest in gator hunting now than ever. Of course if you read the bleeding heart's thoughts on line about SP, they just see them as dumb hicks... but I view the libs as absolute fools so I guess it works out. :)

beaston

I could be wrong but the 30 sec. clip showing a guy dragging a deer down the sidewalk is distasteful already. How many on here would do such a thing ?

I realize the whole point of the clip is to show the setting/environment. We will see soon enough..

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I could be wrong but the 30 sec. clip showing a guy dragging a deer down the sidewalk is distasteful already. How many on here would do such a thing ?

Agreed. I know it was situated like that intentionally, but it starts things off on the wrong foot.

My philosophy (at least hunting in suburbia) is to stay out of sight & out of mind. Most non-hunters aren't anti-hunters. That being said, they also don't want dead stuff on parade. Being discrete and respectful is a far better tactic in suburbia.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I agree with Jesse as for using the "out of sight and out of mind" approach and Beaston is also correct in assuming that all or the high majority on this site would NOT be dragging a dead deer down any sidewalk. Shows lack of smarts and taste.

Some people just amaze me sometimes though. We live in the rural country side of SW Ohio and while driving my girls to and from volleyball practice this past fall I noticed a dead road kilt doe laying 20 yards off the road along the high weeds of a small field. After passing this deer a few days the girls and I noticed someone laid a blanket over this rotting and bloated carcass, yes a fugging blanket. The next day the blanket was moved off the body probably by wind,buzzards or yotes. The next day the same blanket was places back over the carcass AGAIN. Lmao

The day following the same thing occurred with the blanket being moved further from the carcass. The critters eating said deer probably getting somewhat annoyed now! Rotflmao

The next day someone took the liberty of removing the blanket and using a good amount of straw to pile up over and around the dead deer. Must have used 2-3 bales of it! Looked like it was heaped 3-4 feet high and would fill a full size pickup truck bed. NOW THE SCAVENGERS ARE PISSED!!! Rotflmao

How weak stomached or ultra-compassionate are some people these days?!? Went by the site tons of times ever since and chuckle to myself when I still see the decaying fodder. Thinking about putting a roadside cross there with RIP painted on it!:pickle:

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
If people in this country had to hunt to eat there would be a lot of starving people. One thing that pisses me off about some people is that they have no problem going to the store and buying steaks,ground chuck, and chops but they think it's wrong for me to go out and harvest deer for meat.

Gordo

Athens County
If people in this country had to hunt to eat there would be a lot of starving people. One thing that pisses me off about some people is that they have no problem going to the store and buying steaks,ground chuck, and chops but they think it's wrong for me to go out and harvest deer for meat.

Thats the point of points. Hope this new 'show' gets that exact point across. So many others have failed to do so.

Harvesting an animal is like harvesting a tomato out of your garden. Puts you directly involved in the entire process.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Now are you here telling me you didn't stop and pickup that good blanket? What are we coming to?
LOL

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
Harvesting an animal is like harvesting a tomato out of your garden. Puts you directly involved in the entire process.

Bingo Gordo. :smiley_clap: That's pretty much how I talk to my kids about it. They know something has to die (whether it's a deer or a pig for our store bought pork chops) in order for us to eat. They respect and understand that.