Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need to de-stinkify burlap

reo

N.E. Ohio
I got a hank of burlap about 15' long by 5' wide. 100% natural jute, whatever the hell that is. I got it to aid in making some semi-permanent ground blinds but the stuff smells bad. It is a chemical type smell that once I got it i remembered all burlap to smell like. It has been hanging outside for several days and I gave it a soaking in about three gallons of water with a healthy amount of no smell deer hunting type laundry soap and about a pound of baking soda also dissolved in the water. It now stinks less but still stinks. My next move is to take another pound of baking soda and dump it in a tote over the top of the cloth and shake it so it is dusted thoroughly.

I am looking for any other suggestions to de-stinkify this fabric. Barring any it will have a semi-permanent residence on my clothes line after the baking soda dusting and after rinse.

reo

N.E. Ohio
I am definately going to try smoken up this year but wood like to start with a clean slate so to speak on this burlap.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I say just put it in the woods and let the summer do its work. It'll either not stink by then or the deer will be accustomed to it.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
A bag of Charcoal cut open in the tote should absorb quite a bit of it.

Creek Idea doesn't sound bad either.....A lot of rinsing can go on in just 24 hrs.

reo

N.E. Ohio
Is he still alive while you do this?! :smiley_chinrub: Sorry, couldn't resist.

It would almost have to be dead or it would surely escape. That being said if the skunk is alive for this, a "how TOO" video with an actual living skunk would be awsome :smiley_crocodile: