Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2013 Groundhogs

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Finally got to get the AR out at a family farm and shoot some hogs. 100yds..TOO much fun

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364765561395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364765561395.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 108

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Awesome part about it was I thought I missed and was sitting on the porch sulking. So I decided to get up and walk over to where he was. Walked up and he was upside down head first in his hole. I was pumped. Straight through his neck. Lower than where I aimed, but a clean kill.

bluedog

Good job! I have been itching to get out but I have not seen one single groundhog yet and I keep asking everyone I know and no one has seen any. I finally found a fresh dug out hole 3 days ago. That is the first one I have found and I have been religiously glassing fields all up and down my road and hiking past all the den holes where I saw groundhogs last fall before the winter came. I thought for sure I would see some out and about this weekend with how warm it has been, but all I found is that one fresh dug burrow but no sign of the occupant. Yet. Now we are back in the cold and they are even calling for a rain/snow mix this weekend. Boo!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have seen plenty already in NW Ohio. Seem to have curtailed the last few days, but on those warm/dry days they were abundant.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
There was never any around where I lived. It's nice to be back in groundhog country. We've already started out second Bow video. Have about 4 kills so far, one great miss since my sight moved on me and I didn't notice. Missed about 4 feet high... We're halfway into it though. Coming along nicely so far though. Fingers crossed for only a couple more weeks. Tomorrow will be beautiful after 2 awful days, so we're hoping we can kill at least 4 tomorrow.

bluedog

Is this a groundhog? :p

Well, if I can't go woodchuck hunting, I might as well practice in and around the chicken coop. LOL!

I still haven't seen a single woodchuck out and about. I drove through farm country this evening around 6pm and looked and looked and didn't see a single one. I'm sure I'll see one out sometime this week as the temperatures are finally warming up.

bluedog

Been EXTREMELY busy so haven't checked in here in a little while. Groundhog season has started slow with the cold March and now of course the combination of turkey season and lawn mowing/planting/yard work season is all consuming of my time. There has been a groundhog hanging out in an old brush pile in the pasture about 200 yard behind the house. My husband shot at it a couple times late last week but was trying a long shot with the .17hmr. He thought he missed but then the groundhog was not seen the next day so maybe he hit it. But 2 days after it was back. He had his 22-250 ready and waiting, but he was not home when it showed up and instead, I put on a sneak and got to within 100 yards with the .17hmr in hand. Tried a shot and thought I might have hit it, but then I checked and didn't find any blood. That was 2 days ago and have not seen it since. Going to be too busy with turkey season and the farm to do any serious hunting until June. I do worry about orphaning a litter when I am hunting them this time of the year so a little later is probably better. It is very important to control these critters though when they are so close to the vegetable fields. They cost us lots of money.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Sadly, I haven't made it out yet this year. Doesn't look good for the near future either. Good shooting Bluedog!

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
We haven't been seeing many around here either. We found a lot of holes that the coyotes dug up in the winter though. Must have dug em out of their dens while they were hibernating.