Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Brake line

Stonegod

I've got a ford E250 cargo van and the brake line to the back passenger brake went out. I got the old one off easy enough and bought a new copper-nickel brake line at the parts store. Installed it,bled it and took it for a test ride, everything work great. So my dumb butt decides to double check the new fittings to make sure they're snug. I tweak the one that runs over the pumpkin and into a brass block and it start seeping, reinstalled, still seeping. So today I go and buy another new line figuring I messed up the flare. But when I installed the second new line I still have fluid seeping up through the threads. Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it? It's a 1998 van and getting to rusty to take to jobsites and will be replace later this year so I really don't want to spend $$$ to have it fix. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Back the nut off about one and a half turns shake the line in the nut and retorque it and check it again..... If the second line continues to leak it may be the block itself leaking and may need replaced... When all else fails you can try some Teflon tape on the threads too see if it will seal up, it's a stretch if it works or not... But may get the job done...

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
J put out a good suggestion. Sometimes those flared fittings can be a pain. Once I get the threads started, I try to pull the line away from the fitting and attempt to hold it in such a way that it is not in a bind. Ideally, you want to be able to screw the nut and flared end of the line over the fitting by hand. If you keep it out of a bind and are able to screw it on by hand, you are usually good. Then you only have to snug it up a bit with the flare nut wrench.

Ghunter

Was this line already flared for you or did you flare it yourself? I ask because sometimes when you flare the line you can put to much pressure on it and the line can crack. I hope you are using a flare nut wrench for the fittings they can easily be stripped with a regular wrench.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Another thing is if you over torqued the block fitting you can do all that is suggested above and it probably won't work.... If its deformed it won't seal and seep that way... The tape may do the trick but ultimately it'll need changed....

Brakes are something you want too just rig too work too much riding on them for that.... That block can't be anymore then 30 bucks I'd say.... May be wrong on the pice but that's what I remember seeing them for...