Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

crow decoys

Phred

Clermont
Wal Mart has dove decoys on sale 6 for $7. They are about half the size of a crow. They have the plastic clip attached. My brain fart is paint them flat black and place them in with my regular crow decoy setup. I have been told "the more black near the ground is all you need" but he was old. Any opinions?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
My opinion would be to wait for Dannmann to chime in. He sells some crow decoys and they just plain rock. They look great and are economical (in my opinion). I am not sure they are $7 economical, but you are getting more than product from Dan. You get some knowledge and opinions and usually plenty of laughs.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Phred, the flat silhouettes I sell are full sized, with removable stakes to mount the birds on the ground.
$24 for a dozen includes shipping, so it's $2 a bird vs $1.17 ea for the walmart decoys. The 12 birds stack up to 2" high - lightweight, waterproof, weatherproof.
Here's two places you can get 'em -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320789587475?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
http://www.hangtimeoutdoorproducts.com/ <~~~~ front page picture is our own Joe with his spread and a couple of dead birds

Heck, I remember when I first started researching these things one guy said he spray painted empty 2liter bottles black and threw 'em on the ground and got results. Mixing in more black with your existing decoys can't hurt. Only two problems I see with your plan is 1) that the size might be more like a big starling/blackbird instead of a crow and I don't know how they react (don't really know or have any experience with that) and 2) painting (to me) is just a hassle to be avoided. I'm just lazy.

But will your plan work? I'd say maybe, probably....most likely it can't hurt.

What a pain in the balls that crow season is closed until June 1st. I really hate that.

Phred

Clermont
I will order a dozen silhouettes. I just worry about the half size of the dove decoys. It is a shame the federal wildlife agents do not look at the fact the crow robs the nest of the song birds killing untold numbers of young birds at the time of the year when we are not allowed to hunt crow. The Fed's are protecting that critter and that critter is killing the birds that we feed all winter so we can enjoy them all year. I believe if the ODNR had it's way, crow would be on the same list as coyote and wild boar in Ohio.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I will order a dozen silhouettes. I just worry about the half size of the dove decoys. It is a shame the federal wildlife agents do not look at the fact the crow robs the nest of the song birds killing untold numbers of young birds at the time of the year when we are not allowed to hunt crow. The Fed's are protecting that critter and that critter is killing the birds that we feed all winter so we can enjoy them all year. I believe if the ODNR had it's way, crow would be on the same list as coyote and wild boar in Ohio.

True dat

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I read somewhere Mexico is actually the force behind closing the season down for crows with migratory issues which brought the Feds into the picture and regulating the number of days you can hunt them.... I think joe had pointed this out a while back as well if I'm thinking right that is lol...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I read somewhere Mexico is actually the force behind closing the season down for crows with migratory issues which brought the Feds into the picture and regulating the number of days you can hunt them.... I think joe had pointed this out a while back as well if I'm thinking right that is lol...

Correct. It's some regulatory migration pact with Mexico. The US can only hunt them for so many days a year. It's up to the states how they set those days.