Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Glenfield Model 60 Project

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
Does anyone here own a Glenfield Model 60?
With the weather still not cooperating this spring, I found time to work on a Glenfield Model 60 .22 lr over the weekend that was recently given to me by someone who doesn’t shoot and knows I am interested in all things hunting and fishing. For a relatively old firearm, the stock wasn't in too bad shape and has a few character nicks and dings. It has a squirrel and some oak branches engraved in it which make the stock interesting.

The action was in pretty rough shape so I decided to take the gun apart and give it a thorough cleaning. I'm not sure if the action was ever cleaned properly. The barrel has lost some of its bluing, but the bore was relatively clean. The powder buildup and grime were everywhere.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
She cleaned up nicely with some solvent and with a little lubrication cycles pretty smooth manually. I can’t wait to try it out when I get the chance. I’m not sure I’ll keep it long, but we’ll see how she shoots.

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
Love them glenfields! Had a model 25 as a kid but sold it. Then came across amodel 60 and bought it for the squirrel, and that started me collecting. Now I got the 10. 15. 25. 30. 60.

My 60 was a jamomatic, so I tried buying some parts but that didn't work out too good for me. Haven't got it completely right yet.

If your has a decent trigger pull
They can be very accurate

I had one that the trigger pull was ......15+ lb and that was after I sent it back to have it looked at
So I sold it

More than happy with the 882 SSV ( heavy barrel 22 Mag ) I have now
Way more of the ground hog killer I wanted

John

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I have one from the late 60's early 70's always wanted too run the serial # too see when it was made but haven't gotten around too it yet lol.... My daughter loves shooting it and she's fairly accurate with it as well so selling it was never an option lol....

FredT

SE Ohio
She cleaned up nicely with some solvent and with a little lubrication cycles pretty smooth manually. I can’t wait to try it out when I get the chance. I’m not sure I’ll keep it long, but we’ll see how she shoots.

Where ya gonna get ammo for it?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dannmann was the first person I thought of when i read this. haha

Nice looking lil' rig you have there!

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I have one from the late 60's early 70's always wanted too run the serial # too see when it was made but haven't gotten around too it yet lol.... My daughter loves shooting it and she's fairly accurate with it as well so selling it was never an option lol....

I read somewhere that if the gun was made from 71+ you can subtract the first two digits from 2000 to determine the year of manufacture. I think pre 71 the first two digits indicate the year itself.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I read somewhere that if the gun was made from 71+ you can subtract the first two digits from 2000 to determine the year of manufacture. I think pre 71 the first two digits indicate the year itself.

Just looked at mine and its a 1979 model 60 glenfield....

Oh and it's got the squirrel on it as well....

Last edited: