Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Morel Mushrooms.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Here within the next month we should start finding some. Last season absolutely sucked around here, but the season before you could barely turkey hunt for all the mushrooms holes. They say late-season snows are great for mushroom season. We will see.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I got the scoop on a great spot in one of our fields last week. Since it lays smack in the middle of my next project, I should be there to check on it a couple times a week!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I can't wait. I had a pretty crappy season last year as well, so hopefully they are right and this late season snow really gets the yellows popping!

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
What's the best way to go about freezing them?

I'm curious on this as well. I've never done it but I had some go to waste a couple years ago. I had so many that I cooked them almost every night that week and gave them away to anyone that would take them. I wouldn't mind sticking some in the freezer this year. They sure would go good with a fresh backstrap in the Fall.

JOHNROHIO

Participation Trophy Winner
A friend of mine tried freezing last year. What he did was clean and soak them like normal, then he let them dry on paper towels and lightly dusted in flour. Froze them whole in ziplock baggies. He said that it worked well and still tasted fresh when he cooked them later that year.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A friend of mine tried freezing last year. What he did was clean and soak them like normal, then he let them dry on paper towels and lightly dusted in flour. Froze them whole in ziplock baggies. He said that it worked well and still tasted fresh when he cooked them later that year.

I think that's how Fluteman's dad does it, but can't remember as the only time I have had them out of the freezer was late on New Year's Eve! :smiley_adfundum:

oakswamper

around Toledo
I found a few greys March 26th last year, the first time in over 40 years of shroomin I found them in March. I'm guessing it will be the end of April up here this year.

But I will be out earlier just cause I can't help myself ;)

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Best way I've seen to freeze Morels. Fry them like normal but take them out when about 1/2 done. Lay out flat on cookie sheets/waxed paper and freeze. Once frozen, refreeze them in air-tight conditions if possible. Finish frying in butter when ready.

We've had dehydrated ones as Ben stated. I thought they were equally as good and fairly easy to prepare.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cant wait! I crushed it last year. Have only been hunting a couple years and the lightbulb went on. Hope to keep it rolling
I did not "crush" it last year. I found a few, but if your "lightbulb" moment helped you find a bunch of them in what I would term a fairly poor year, I'd love to hear what the trick was!:)

Gordo

Athens County
What helped me was really slowing it down after finding a single one. I used to move on fairly quickly

Now when i find one, im sitting on the ground around that area for a while just relaxingly lookin.

oakswamper

around Toledo
Guys I have been cutting them in half after I find them and vacume sealing them for the last 5 years. I never put them in water until I thaw them.

But we eat them a lot and I never have any left after Thanksgiving..... They tast like I just picked them as long as they don't touch water before you freeze them. just my 2 cents