Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trad+Elk+40 yards=????

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
September will be here before you know it and this year I'll be hunting Elk in Idaho with some close friends. Some of you already know this, but for those who don’t I’ll recap. I have hunted this area in Idaho before (2009) and could have killed a half rack and calf, but let them go because I was stationed overseas and couldn't keep the meat anyway. This year I'll be there for 7-10 days and will probably kill the first elk that presents me the opportunity. If I get one early then I plan on buying a deer tag and start chasing muleys .

Believe it or not, but lately I have been struggling with a personal dilemma; Saying trad or going to a compound. (que: thunder) (please forgive me Diablo)

When I lived in NC I had a 44 yard range in my back yard and access to a 55 yard range at Camp Lejeune. I shot long distance every day in my back yard and several times a week at the Lejeune range during lunch breaks. As a result I was pretty darn good (Rust For Brains can vouch for me). Now I only have a 25 yard range in my back yard and no place close to shoot long distances. I'm pretty resourceful though so if push comes to shove I'll figure something out.

I suppose I should get to the point of this thread. One thing I have been thinking about lately is the penetration at 40 yards and what I can expect with my set up. My bow shoots a 550 grain arrow 186 FPS, but that is shooting it through the chrono at only a couple yards. Obviously after 40 yards of flight the arrow will have significantly slowed (especially with 5.5 inch high back fletchings creating drag). My broadhead of choice is the Magnus Stinger 4 blade which will obviously be very sharp. When I helped my friend pack out his NM elk I was amazed at how thick an elks skin is as compared to a deer, caribou, or bear.
Considering the above and assuming I don't hit any ribs or bone; how much penetration could I expect? 30-35 yards and below I'm not worried about, but when you get into the 40 plus range the energy really bleeds off fast which will affect KE.

This all plays into my personal struggle about weapon choice. I like to hunt for the experience and I fully realize that hunting out west usually involves longer shots. A compound bow is going to obviously increase my chances of success and range, but when I'm dialed in with my recurve I am just as capable out to 40. However at that range, there is a significant difference between the two in ethical killing power.

I will admit some of this wavering is due to a personal pride and a love for trad archery, but what I have also found is that as I mature my pride more often than not being checked at the door.

So whatta ya think? Does a recurve have what it takes at 40 yards? Also I'm half way considering just getting compound for hunting out west and sticking to a recurve for deer. The bad thing is at $1100 compounds are EXPENSIVE......

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I would love to see you shoot one with the trad but I wouldn't do it 40+ yards. At that range given the thickness of the hide as well as the width from one side of the chest to the other I feel you would only get one lung at best. At 40 yards + your only hope would be a perfect heart shot IMHO. To far back and your only getting one lung.

If your going to stay at 30 and less You should be ok but if your thinking 40+ I would go with the compound if it was me.

At those ranges I'd go with a compound. Since you will only be shooting a compound for this hunt id just buy a used bow off craigslist. There seems to be plenty of nice bows that are 2-3 years old going for nice prices on my local CL.

tuffshot

The Crew
September will be here before you know it and this year I'll be hunting Elk in Idaho with some close friends. Some of you already know this, but for those who don’t I’ll recap. I have hunted this area in Idaho before (2009) and could have killed a half rack and calf, but let them go because I was stationed overseas and couldn't keep the meat anyway. This year I'll be there for 7-10 days and will probably kill the first elk that presents me the opportunity. If I get one early then I plan on buying a deer tag and start chasing muleys .

Believe it or not, but lately I have been struggling with a personal dilemma; Saying trad or going to a compound. (que: thunder) (please forgive me Diablo)

When I lived in NC I had a 44 yard range in my back yard and access to a 55 yard range at Camp Lejeune. I shot long distance every day in my back yard and several times a week at the Lejeune range during lunch breaks. As a result I was pretty darn good (Rust For Brains can vouch for me). Now I only have a 25 yard range in my back yard and no place close to shoot long distances. I'm pretty resourceful though so if push comes to shove I'll figure something out.

I suppose I should get to the point of this thread. One thing I have been thinking about lately is the penetration at 40 yards and what I can expect with my set up. My bow shoots a 550 grain arrow 186 FPS, but that is shooting it through the chrono at only a couple yards. Obviously after 40 yards of flight the arrow will have significantly slowed (especially with 5.5 inch high back fletchings creating drag). My broadhead of choice is the Magnus Stinger 4 blade which will obviously be very sharp. When I helped my friend pack out his NM elk I was amazed at how thick an elks skin is as compared to a deer, caribou, or bear.
Considering the above and assuming I don't hit any ribs or bone; how much penetration could I expect? 30-35 yards and below I'm not worried about, but when you get into the 40 plus range the energy really bleeds off fast which will affect KE.

This all plays into my personal struggle about weapon choice. I like to hunt for the experience and I fully realize that hunting out west usually involves longer shots. A compound bow is going to obviously increase my chances of success and range, but when I'm dialed in with my recurve I am just as capable out to 40. However at that range, there is a significant difference between the two in ethical killing power.

I will admit some of this wavering is due to a personal pride and a love for trad archery, but what I have also found is that as I mature my pride more often than not being checked at the door.

So whatta ya think? Does a recurve have what it takes at 40 yards? Also I'm half way considering just getting compound for hunting out west and sticking to a recurve for deer. The bad thing is at $1100 compounds are EXPENSIVE......

$1100 for a compound? Is that even a true measurement of what it takes?

40 yards for an elk with trad equipment is not an impossibility, it has been accomplished by many a dedicated archer. The equipment is capable but the doubt of ones ability is the key factor.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
$1100 for a compound? Is that even a true measurement of what it takes?

40 yards for an elk with trad equipment is not an impossibility, it has been accomplished by many a dedicated archer. The equipment is capable but the doubt of ones ability is the key factor.

It's crazy what they cost these days. 40 yards isn't out of my capabilities. Actually right now it would be, but once I start practicing I'll be shooting slightly larger than soft ball groups at that far. Ability to pull the shoot off isn't my concern. My concern is will the arrow have the energy to get both lungs.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Just my 2 cents.

I have shot recurve/fingers/no pins for nearly 40 years.About 15 years ago I started shooting compounds. (but still keeping to my trad. roots.) I just wanted to be able to reach out a little farther.
I fought the fingers issue but finally went to a release for the compound. Then 1 pin. It bothered me for a while that I had to add the extra stiff but thats the way it is. The shorter compound just pinched my fingers to much for a proper release. The pin seemed to help as well now that I had more KE further out.

I guess in the end, I can kill deer with both. Each has a place for my hunting. I don't know about you but it took me a summer to feel "right" using pins and a release.

I love my inline muzzy TOO but will now only carry it for gun week because I feel like I'm cheating on my flint lock tradition which I use durring muzzy season.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Honestly at that range i would go to a 2 blade. I would also spare no expense on the broadhead either. I would give german kinetics a look chuck. They embarass stingers on sharpness. 550 grain arrows are more than enough imho. Anything can happen but holding an edge is key to killing.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Honestly at that range i would go to a 2 blade. I would also spare no expense on the broadhead either. I would give german kinetics a look chuck. They embarass stingers on sharpness. 550 grain arrows are more than enough imho. Anything can happen but holding an edge is key to killing.

And at 100 a pack they had better haze an elk targeting system installed too!!!! :)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
For starters, you can get yourself in a more than capable compound for far less than $1,100. Hell, I just built a top of the line rig with top end components and spent $800, so you can do it even cheaper than that. Secondly, you have to shoot what you are comfortable with at the ranges you are comfortable with. What we think really doesn't matter when the moment of truth arrives if you aren't confident in what you are using. I think 40 yards is TOO far to consider shooting animals with a stick bow, but I don't know much about them either. Some people think 50 yards is TOO far to shoot animals with a compound and yet, I've done it and it works just fine. Regardless of what bow you take, be a good with it as you can and let the pieces fall where they may. That's about all you can do...

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Well after sleeping on it and going over the finances I'm going to hold off on the compound.

All the research on penetration at 40 tells me I'm good with my set up. I may buy some of the GK broadheads from Milo though.

I think I am going to get a compound next year and use it for out West and late season deer hunts.

I'm not to concerned about dropping that kinda money if it gets me what I want and will last a long time.

For now I am maintaining my elitism and will continue to look down my nose at non trad shooters.......;)

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Well after sleeping on it and going over the finances I'm going to hold off on the compound.

All the research on penetration at 40 tells me I'm good with my set up. I may buy some of the GK broadheads from Milo though.

I think I am going to get a compound next year and use it for out West and late season deer hunts.

I'm not to concerned about dropping that kinda money if it gets me what I want and will last a long time.

For now I am maintaining my elitism and will continue to look down my nose at non trad shooters.......;)

i dont carry them but know where to get them. they will change the way you look at broadheads chuck. i shot my buck at 43 yards and that deer had no idea he was even hit. was sliced and didn't even know... he died in 100 yards from a liver shot. its going to be hard to NOT use them from now on. heck they cut the top of the lower leg bone off of the doe i shot on exit...clean slice...

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
You have plenty of thump IMO, but I too would use a single blade head. In fact, I'd probably use the heaviest slug I could launch from an 06 or 308 :)

I hit one at very close range with a 57lb longbow several years ago (4 yds). I hit him right where you'd hope to, but the penetration was rather poor. I am certain I would have gotten better penetration at 40 than I did at 4. By the time your arrow sails that far, it may be moving slower, but it will never be flying straighter...and that is what drives an arrow through meat IMO. No need to imagine it, just shoot a foam target at 5 yds or so, then shoot it at 40... see what kind of difference you get in penetration. I think you will gain a little faith in your equipment at distance with that experiment.

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Hahahaha, did I get you thinking about it with my have fun out west comment?!?! I would say just keep yourself inside 30 yards. As a trad guy, you should have your skills honed enough to get within 30 yards of a rutting Elk;)

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
TF with a heavy recurve, heavy arrow, SHARP arrow, and a tuned bow to the arrow, I'd shoot a BIG elk at 40 yards. Having saod that though, a second and more important consideration enters into the equation. CONFIDENCE! I would shoot what I had "compelte" confidence in. I know you and KNOW you wiould use what would work fer you! Wach em and stack em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!