Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ehd or?

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo
While out shed hunting I found a bunch of dead deer by a pond near a border of our property. There was about ten of them spread out over 80 yards. All were does and fawns. All of them looked to be in tacked. Looks like they have been there for a while. This makes about 16 dead deer we have found on the farm this year. I'm thinking it may be ehd, All the deer were found close to water. 13.jpg11.jpg12.jpgwhat do you guys think?

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Sounds like EHD to me, I'd call the dnr and have them come out and verify... We were briefed by the columbiana county wildlife officer too report all cases suspected....

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Were any of these dead deer seen before aor during deer season? EHD is caused by a midge bite and a hard freeze kills the midge off.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Were any of these dead deer seen before aor during deer season? EHD is caused by a midge bite and a hard freeze kills the midge off.

Good point about the midge and the freeze killing them off Frank... Forgot about that one.... Usually once the deer are once infected they usually die within a week or sooner...

I'd still make a report of it and maybe they can give you and exact reason for the die off...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Same here. If I found that many dead deer in one location I would report it. Hopefully someone can tell you why.

Last edited:

motorbreaker

*Supporting Member I*
North of Toledo

I will contact the dow this week.

We didnt see these deer till the other day while shed hunting. The fence in the pic is the border of our property. We proly couldnt see them because the weeds were alot higher during hunting season, And were never close enough to see them. It looks to me like these deer have been there a long time, I am supprised we didnt see them sooner.

I would tend to agree with the EHD idea. Too many deer and such close proximity to water points that way. They look like they've been there a while and EHD could have been going well until the first hard frost and even then die offs could have likely happened after. That could have put them well into late October depending on your area.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
That's what I was scared of. Was it southern or northen Highland county? Good luck getting a hold of Carnes, I dont even bother calling anymore. He may call you back if its something high profile though.

Highland county. called jim carnes at the dow but his mailbox was full. Left him a callback number. hope to hear from him.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
He has a supervisor call him if carnes doesn't respond.... Or just go to the district number and talk too them....

Huckleberry Finn

He has a supervisor call him if carnes doesn't respond.... Or just go to the district number and talk too them....

Gosh that's my favorite thing in the world to do.

"Hey how are you doing today?"
"Not good; your jaggoff employee is a dick and wasn't helpful"
"Oh..."
"So are you going to work with me or do I need to call your boss too?"