Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rant alert !!!!

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Two years ago, I had TruGreen lawn service treat my yard because I was getting tired of loosing the lawn care battle every year. It was a pretty good deal, better than Scotts, so I figured I'd give it a try. I have an acre & I just wanted to see if there would be any difference, since I tend to slack off as the year progresses. It was a revolving plan, where they would come out each year without me having to having to renew the plan. Anyway, last year, they did not come out to apply crabgrass control like the previous year so, with that kinda pissing me off & the fact that I was better off doing it myself to save some money, I called & told them to cancel my subscription since they didn't come out when they should have. The principle of it & just saving money was my main reason. Anyway, they called a few times & tried to rectify my unhappiness, but I just wanted to continue doing it myself. I can't believe how many times they've called me since then & just yesterday, they called again & talked to my wife. She told them that we didn't need their services, which she was then asked if she was the one who made the outdoors decisions !! Can you believe that ? Whoever the fugger was, he said he would all again today & talk to me. I know all sorts of companies do that, including Buckmasters & the NRA, but they just won't take no for an answer. If they call again, I'll get his name to begin with & then tell him I'm calling the Better Business Bureau & giving them his name. SO, do me a favor & don't ever use this company !!! Ok, I feel better. Thank you.

Diane

*Supporting Member*
Newark
they called again & talked to my wife. She told them that we didn't need their services, which she was then asked if she was the one who made the outdoors decisions !! Can you believe that ?

Many years ago when I was married to my now-ex, (who worked for AT&T) Sprint called me trying to get me to switch over to them.

When I said that my husband worked for AT&T, I was told, "Well, we don't have to tell him now, do we?"!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
We no longer fertilize lawns. It is easier for us to subcontract it out. However, WHEN I did fertilize lawns Trugreen was my best advertisement. When giving a bid if the customer mentioned Trugreen I would just smile. Naturally they would ask why I was smiling. My reply: "This is going to be easy. They are my best advertisement. Here is how i work. . . . .no calling for extra applications. . . . . no upsales on tree and shrub/bugs/grubs/etc UNLESS I truly see a need for it. . . . .and lastly, if for some reason you are unhappy you may simply call me. I will do my best to keep you happy. If you should choose to look elsewhere for service I will never call you back again. You might be on a mailing list for an occasional flyer, but I will not call you up begging for your business."

That said, I was almost always more expensive per application. HOWEVER, in the long run I was cheaper because I never tried to upsell anyone unless I truly did see an issue. Trugreen is the worst for trying to add applications. They are bad for just showing up after you cancel service as well. They have a commercial sales rep that tries to land lawn companies as clients. Basically, they want my clients and offer me some mowing accounts in exchange. When I was first in business I tried to make this work. It worked until I was home one day and watched their tech walk around the corner of my house, look around, and walk back to the truck. He completely skipped my entire backyard. If they were going to do this on MY lawn, who knows what they were doing at MY customers' homes. After this incident I went out and got licensed to do it myself. Tried that a few years and found the headaches and paperwork are not worth the effort and additional profit. Thus the reason i sub it out now to a friend in the business. Despite all this, I get packets from Trugreen's commercial sales reps EVERY year and the occasional phone call. Frustrating.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
You guys all never had to work a sales job. The guy is just calling to try and make money, and do his job. I understand he might have been a bit much, but maybe you turn around and end up giving them another try. Who knows, I think your being WAY to hard on the guy.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Com Cast is the same way. I hate persistence marketing.

Comcast is anti-gun, throw that at the next person that calls for them.

Speaking of trugreen remember when they were Chemlawn? Who ever thought that was a good name? rotflmao

Last edited:

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
I had a Boss once who's buddy was part of the ground floor of Chemlawn. He was offered 1000 shares of stock for $1.00 each and turned it down....:tantrum:.....Imagine what 1000 shares would be worth 30+ years later.... :smiley_confused_vra

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
You guys all never had to work a sales job. The guy is just calling to try and make money, and do his job. I understand he might have been a bit much, but maybe you turn around and end up giving them another try. Who knows, I think your being WAY to hard on the guy.

It's called tact. And most people in persistence marketing don't have any. That's why they are stuck in that realm of business.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
It's called tact. And most people in persistence marketing don't have any. That's why they are stuck in that realm of business.

Yep. Was gonna say the same thing until I read through & saw you beat me to it.

What I will add is that those "types" of "sales" people are what give the term "sales" a sleazy feel to it.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Well, they haven't called yet. Oh they will, but I just wanted to have some fun with 'em. Keep in mind that they did try to right themselves ... over & over. They just won't accept NO for an answer & that is my beef along with what I felt was them trying to intimidate my wife. It's her own fault just the same. She doesn't have the balls to cut a sales person off in mid sentence. After about six or seven calls from them, perhaps I should be hard on them, but I won't... maybe.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've encountered countless calls from both Scott's and TruGreen as well. I have 1.5 acres of yard and don't see spending 700-800 dollars(discounted rate...lol) to have a nicer yard. That would be 6-7 treatments a year. I tried to just have them come out for one application for dandilions and one later for crabgrass but they wouldn't do that. They said it would be half assing it and I wouldn't be satisfied. I explained that my lazy ass neighbor seems to love his yellow colored yard and I'd still get wind drift from him anyway so I'd rather spend $250 a year for those 2 apps verses their high dollar preferred treatment package. He still said, "I'm sorry sir, we can't do that." I said, "Well sir, that's TOO bad, we don't need you then, goodbye!"

We've had both companies do work for us in the past and they both continue with the non stop haggling calls. It's very frustrating and Kevin is right. They will not take NO for an answer.

Jesse is spot on, their tact is a turn off and I'm about to go off on them if it keeps up! Lol