Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Coshocton Gravel Pit/Quarry

I need some help relocating a possible fishing spot that I was at, about 15 years ago.

If I recall, it was state land and in the S.R. 541 and S.R. 60 area of Tunnel Hill...or east of that area. There was a VERY old gravel shute (wooden) building with some of the shute still in place, that can be seen from the gravel road. You had to park out on the gravel road (signs posted, no vehicles beyond this point) and as you faced the gravel shoot building, there was a small pond on the right with a beaver dam. If you walked up the access road it serpentined back and forth up the hillside and at the top the road went straight into a quarry...that's full of water.

At the time when I was there, there was an old dump truck parked under the shute...about a 1950s model. There was a concrete building on the upper access road that had old wooden Remington boxes for blast caps, still in the building...empty, ofcourse, but in mint condition. The area was facinating to say the least.

This quarry has sheer rock sides and the only access point is the gravel road that disappears into the water. I was in the area checking out some turkey hunting and stumbled across it. I always thought it would be a great place to fish with a kayak, since there were no other access points.

I've searched Google Maps without any success.
Does anyone have any idea of where this gravel pit/quarry is located?

Thank you, Bowhunter57

JPN

coshocton
I'm almost positive I know where it is. It actually washed out and the pond is only about a fourth the size it used to be.
It's the one in the middle

JPN,
I think that's it, thanks! Twp. 302, just north off of S.R. 541.
Google Earth show it at: 40 degrees 15' 37.52 N and 81 degrees 57' 48.33 W with an Elev. of 1022.

Would you happen to know if the quarry itself still has water in it? Even if it doesn't, after traveling as far as I have to, I'd fish one of the neighboring ponds.

Bowhunter57