Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Need to get going

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I need to start shooting again. I keep saying I'm gonna do it today, but between work, school, and family it keeps getting put to the side.

Idaho is only 5.5 months away and I need to be consistently shooting soft ball groups out to 40 yards. Practice and repetition are the key to building muscle memory and instinctive targeting calibration. I work hard to make sure I'm psychically ready to handle 10 plus days in the mountains and I really should be putting that same effort into my shooting too.

Diablo54

Outside
I need to start shooting again. I keep saying I'm gonna do it today, but between work, school, and family it keeps getting put to the side.

Idaho is only 5.5 months away and I need to be consistently shooting soft ball groups out to 40 yards. Practice and repetition are the key to building muscle memory and instinctive targeting calibration. I work hard to make sure I'm psychically ready to handle 10 plus days in the mountains and I really should be putting that same effort into my shooting too.

Sure would suck to do all that hiking and miss a 20 yard shot. I agree it takes some motivation to get back to shooting the bow. But once I start I can't stop. It's one of the reasons why I love using a recurve over compound.

Tiny

I started shooting my bows about the same time as this thread was posted.
I have made a half dozen 3-D shoots so far and hit the public f.i.t.a. range at least once a week. While I love to fling arrows at distance, I am focusing on my hunting ranges primarily, do to the fact that I am shooting 4 different bows which all require different shooting methods. My wife is also working with a new bow herself, so for now the 25 yard limit is fine. :)

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I've been hitting it regularly now for a month or so. Form has been an issue, but I'm working through it. I have also noticed I occasionally get "target panic" too, but I work through it.

I'm gonna try and set up the GoPro for tonight's shooting session. I made a life size elk chest target and was dropping them in the kill zone quite nicely at 50 yards. We'll see if I can do it again tonight.

My new eyes are making all the difference in the world too.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Last night i realized watching my GoPro vides that I'm not getting the full draw out my bow. I'm about one inch short.

I started working in it today and boy do I have some strength building to do. Ill be ok by September

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Shooting is getting better. Last nights grouping at 30. I'll admit I had two come up short. I was getting tired..... 30 yard Aug 3 practice.jpg

My 40 yard groups weren't as good, but four outta five were in the kill zone.