Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Adventures of the Coon Huntin Coonass.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
As of midnight last night it was on like a Chicken Bone. I plan on keeping this thread as a journal to let yall know how it goes this season.

The dogs did great! Made six drops and the dogs hit 1 Den tree, 0 slicks, and 5 good trees for a total of 8 coon. 1 tree had 3 coon in it.

A good dog will bend over backwards to tree a coon for his handler.

Look at that boy trying to climb!

Ole Ben FIRED up and foaming.

Pup named JR. He's coming along just fine.. Getting some encouragement here. Notice the bark missing on the tree.. This boy flipped a switch here lately. Earlier this season i was worried about him. He just wasn't getting it. Now I think he's going to be just fine. He just needs some coon out to him..

And a Bitch pup named Pockets.. This thing has a FIRE.. She's going to be one HELL of a tree dog.. For a small thing she sure has a set of jaws on her that will hurt your ears she's so loud. This is her first time being walked in on a treed coon.. Look at her hammering.. This dog was born with it buddy.

Drops ------ 6
Coon ------- 8
Den Trees -- 1
Holes------- 0
Lying Dog -- 0
Triple--------1
Double-------1

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
Thats awesome...too funny with the coonass comment. Not too many people know what that is. My good buddy is from LA and his cousins are a bunch of coonass cajuns. LOL

Gotta love a good coon dog. Sounds like you guys had a pretty good night. So you are still going out with that old timer?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Thats awesome...too funny with the coonass comment. Not too many people know what that is. My good buddy is from LA and his cousins are a bunch of coonass cajuns. LOL

Gotta love a good coon dog. Sounds like you guys had a pretty good night. So you are still going out with that old timer?

Yeah, he's been coon hunting for 52 years. Good guy.. I'm a proud coonass. Family lineage can be traced back to Acadia but from Spain, not French. Although they spoke french.

rrr

That's awesome man, I look forward to seeing more dogs and some coons in the future.

Out of those dogs, Pockets is a great name - she's my favorite! When my brother worked for the grain bin building company he was (and is) a lazy sob and always kept his hands in his pockets, thus earning the nickname 'Pockets'. That summer I worked there I got called 'Hips' but this summer the nickname got transferred to me, so I am used to being called Pockets (even though I was the youngest one and the grunt, they knew I'd do all of the hard work, was one of the hardest works on the crew, and the safest gradall driver)

Good luck man, keep us updated

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Hey Joe and everyone, forgive my stupidty I never did any coon hunting so I am a dumb ass when it comes to this.

Joe, what are drops?

Thanks.

bowhunthardin

This makes me want break out all the old coon hunting equipment and get back into it. Before I ever started bowhunting deer my whole world revolved around Coon Hounds and Beagle dogs. I would run rabbits by day and hunt coon all night. I figured out really fast if you wanted to be a successful bowhunter all other things needed to go on hold. I have never stopped since but do really miss a hard treeing walker dog. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to future post.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hey Joe and everyone, forgive my stupidty I never did any coon hunting so I am a dumb ass when it comes to this.

Joe, what are drops?

Thanks.

No problem bud. Coon hunting has a bunch of jargon. The dogs ride in a dog box in the back of the truck. When we go to a new spot and let them out its called a drop.

Once the dog trees and the coon is shot. You put a leash on the dog and walk him back to the truck. Open the door on the dog box and they hop in (load).. Then you drive to a new area or even just the other end of a fencerow and make another drop. You'll also see me say we shot the dogs down a ditch. This means we dropped them on a ditch. When you get a dog out of the box for a drop they are wound up and ready to go. You hold them by the collar and they pull so hard they literally stand on their hind legs and walk like a human. As soon as you let go they take off like a "shot". Hence the " we shot them down this ditch."

This makes me want break out all the old coon hunting equipment and get back into it. Before I ever started bowhunting deer my whole world revolved around Coon Hounds and Beagle dogs. I would run rabbits by day and hunt coon all night. I figured out really fast if you wanted to be a successful bowhunter all other things needed to go on hold. I have never stopped since but do really miss a hard treeing walker dog. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to future post.

if you still have any of that coon hunting equipment and wanna sell it lemme know

badger

*Supporting Member*
Hey Mark, notice the shot placement from a cb cap.

Posting these temporarily here Joe, not looking to hijack, just thought they belonged with a coon hunting thread.

I'll be getting some new ones soon that include skinning & fleshing from start to finish.

Here's what my finished coon hides look like.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
No problem here badger. I should try and do something with the hides. But if we have more than one dog in the mix they rip them up pretty bad faster than i can get them off the coon.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
No problem bud. Coon hunting has a bunch of jargon. The dogs ride in a dog box in the back of the truck. When we go to a new spot and let them out its called a drop.

Once the dog trees and the coon is shot. You put a leash on the dog and walk him back to the truck. Open the door on the dog box and they hop in (load).. Then you drive to a new area or even just the other end of a fencerow and make another drop. You'll also see me say we shot the dogs down a ditch. This means we dropped them on a ditch. When you get a dog out of the box for a drop they are wound up and ready to go. You hold them by the collar and they pull so hard they literally stand on their hind legs and walk like a human. As soon as you let go they take off like a "shot". Hence the " we shot them down this ditch."

Ooooooooh, thanks Joe. As I said I never was a coon hunter but I find this interesting. Thanks for filling me in.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Very cool Joe. If you ever want to get the dogs on a road trip bring them up this way. They would be in heaven up here. I hear them coon every evening while climbing out of the stand and see them every morning heading back to the woods. I usually see them working in groups of 2-3 along the field edges heading back before shooting light in the mornings. Every landowner I talk to they just tell me to shoot everyone of the dirty little bastards.

Buckrun

When I use to coon hunt I was in great shape. Getting out breathing that cool night air I never got sick. It is a great time also. I had blueticks and walkers.

steve