Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Rut fever?

Do you believe in rut fever

• Yes I've seen it happen several times!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Nope it's never happened to me ( whistling while your fingers crossed)

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yes it's a well documented disease, but cheetos help to control it.

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Think for a second about how many times you've heard a bow hunter, who has been hunting hard during the rut, say the following:

1. I thought he was bigger when I shot him.

2. I've seen so many bucks I just couldn't take it and shot a smaller buck.

3. I was holding out for a bigger one, but just couldn't take it anymore.

There are many more, but every year it happens. I know for me it's happened. I like to refer to it as Rut Fever.

Anyone else noticed this?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
I admit. I have done it lol.

I have in my head that I have to have a deer down and be done and tagged out before rut is over or gun season starts.

A nice cozy warm bed makes it hard to get up on those ass numbing mornings and hit the woods for late season lol.

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
I've had the "looked bigger from here" thing happen
I can only assume it was due to the heavy moisture in the air magnifying the body of that deer.;)

Hoytmania

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Gods Country
I have opted out for a smaller buck because it was the last weekend before gun season and just wanted to fill my tag because I knew I would not be out during gun week.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have not settled on a smaller buck. Last year after putting in 140+hrs in the stand, I did decide to shoot the next doe that came along. I was ready to be done. Burnout had set in. Had seen a spike, one forkhorn twice, and a small basket 6pt in all those hours. I had decided in late December the area simply did not hold big deer. Took my antlerless (button buck lol) and finished my season. I don't think this is rut fever, but rather freezer filler.