Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A surreal moment

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Last week I had a very surreal moment. As I closed the door of my truck I sat there for a moment asking myself if I had just done the right thing.

During life's journey I have walked thousands of miles over a path that has taken my family to many places and exposed us to experiences that most folks could never understand. Often I have come upon bends, curves, and road blocks that have caused me pause and question what I do, who I am, and why I do it. Every time I have felt the Lord telling that it is not my time and that I need to keep climbing up a mountain that has many blind turns, jagged rocks, dangerous cliffs, and beautiful green meadows.

Last Wednesday I came to another of life's crossroads, but this time the feeling was different. This time as I reflected on the past, present, and future I knew it was time and without reservation or regret I submitted my retirement papers.

When approved (probably another three weeks) I won't be out for another 18 months (1 Nov 14), but I submitted early so the Marine Corps can plan accordingly to promote to my vacancy which not only helps a captain get selected to major, but also a CWO get promoted to captain, and a continuing trickle effect that leads the appointment of warrant officer to some well deserving enlisted Marine.

The Marine Corps is all I've done since high school so taking this step, especially in this economy, is a leap of faith. My family is definitely ready to go and while my wife may be nervous about our future she stands behind this decision like the true friend she always has been.

So, hopefully in a few weeks I'll get my official notice of an approved retirement. My ceremony will most likely be in August of 2014 and I'll retire with 28 years and some change. We'll most likely be moving to Southern Maryland and hopefully I'll get a defense contractor job of some sorts.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Congratulations on your decision And your pending retirement major... It's always the fear of the unknown that gets you thinking.. But I have a feeling you'll be fine in your decision...

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
Thank you for all those years of service.
I'm sure you find some way to fill the time some parts of the year...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thank you for your years of service. Glad you are at peace with your decision. You will be fine.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
You will do fine Major. You have given enough and its time for others. it is much appreciated and we need to get you a little closer to home...Are you going to fire up any of your old Alters once your on the outside of the wire?lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Thanks for sharing, Chuck. That has to be a great feeling, knowing that you're going to retire soon... although I'm sure there's a bit of aprehension there as well. That's normal. I think you'll be fine, man. Best of luck to you during the next stage of your journey through life!

Sticknstring

Congratulations Chuck! I have been retired now for three years after 20 years, 9 months and 25 days (but who was counting). if you are like me, there will be days when you miss it, and days that you are glad you are not in. Surprisingly, even the family misses the life we had, (but it quickly fades when I remind them of the deployments!). Good luck with all you do and thank you for all your years of service.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Thanks for all the well wishes. Today I got an email stating that my retirement papers had been received and I should have an answer in 6 to 8 weeks. The norm though is 3 weeks.