Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1st try at mineral lick

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I put in my 1st try at a mineral lick with a 5 gal. bucket full. I used Jesse's recipe the best I could. It's in my woods along a well used North-South trail. My woods acts a pinchpoint between open land North to South.
Let's see how well it gets used.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I usually dig up a section and also try to mix some of the soil into the mineral mix. Like Jesse mentioned yesterday though, some corn or something helps them find it initially. Do you have a tree close by you can hang a camera on? In the next two months you will see some awesome pictures of antler growth over it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I usually dig up a section and also try to mix some of the soil into the mineral mix.

Yes. I'm not sure what kind of results you will have just dumping it out like that. I work my minerals in to the soil. Hopefully it works out for you. A few good rains should help...

Is it time for minerals already?

Now is the time. The bucks that have shed will make a quick turn around towards new antler growth. Does who are pregnant will start to hit them the second green up comes. I like mine to be in place when green starts so that they have found my sites and have become comfortable visiting them by the time they really need the minerals...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I like mine to be in place when green starts so that they have found my sites and have become comfortable visiting them by the time they really need the minerals...

Despite the snow today, we are anywhere from 2-6wks from serious green up. Last few years my buddy and I got a ton of action on the minerals from Feb on into summer.

ohio
Yes. I'm not sure what kind of results you will have just dumping it out like that. I work my minerals in to the soil. Hopefully it works out for you. A few good rains should help...

Now is the time. The bucks that have shed will make a quick turn around towards new antler growth. Does who are pregnant will start to hit them the second green up comes. I like mine to be in place when green starts so that they have found my sites and have become comfortable visiting them by the time they really need the minerals...

Ok cool! So mineral blocks in place from last year will get hit?

Putting out my second spot today with some Monster raxx. Gonna give it a whirl.

That's a good thing!! Of all the trail cam pics I have seen the last couple of years most of the guys using Monster RAXX really had the bucks re-visiting the mineral sites on a regular basis. Of all the stuff I have tried over the years nothing seems to keep them coming on any regular basis unless corn was involved. As far as when to put them out, my opinion is they should be out year round because they may visit the site any time. Primarily want to get them out as soon as their antlers drop though as it won't be long after that as to when they start needing them most.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio

I plan on going back with a spade to work it up. The 4 wheeler is broke down and I had to carry 2 five gallons buckets each half full about 500 yrds. With a bad heart and bad back I couldn't carry 3 items so it will be worked up this weekend and probaly carry up another couple of gallons.
Frank

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I plan on going back with a spade to work it up. The 4 wheeler is broke down and I had to carry 2 five gallons buckets each half full about 500 yrds. With a bad heart and bad back I couldn't carry 3 items so it will be worked up this weekend and probaly carry up another couple of gallons.
Frank

Sounds like a chore for some grandkids! lol

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I did go back with a spade about 2 weeks after putting it out and turned it over good and dumped another 3 gallons on top.
I went in today after 6 weeks and pulled the Tiny 2 camera card. I got pictures of three differant does eating the lick. There are hoof prints in the lick plus a football size hole. I had a camera in my pocket and forgot to take pictures.
It's being used. Now just to get the bucks using it. They will come.

Last edited: