Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Getting Permission

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
With turkey season approaching and old permission slips in our packs, it is time to start securing new and familiar pieces of ground for hunting. As I was putting a couple information packets together today at lunch, I figured I would share my process in hopes it can help a few of you land some new hunting/fishing/trapping properties. First and foremost, it is hard to beat the in person approach. When asking for permission, it never hurts to take a kid or your lovely wife along with you. Make sure you are presentable, have a firm hand shake, and look the owners in the eyes when you speak to them. Doing your homework before hand and having maps, presigned slips, and a brochure that helps owner remember you after your visit are also must-dos. Most county auditors sites are now supplying up-to-date GIS information that can help you locate the owners, as well as help you scout for new ground.

When meeting a person face to face is not in the cards, it is time to revert to snail mail to do the work for you. Again, using the auditor's page to locate the owner combined with other sources like AnyWho.com, make life much easier these days. When I mail out a packet, it includes a signed permission slip like the one below, a copy of the slip for their records, a self addressed stamped envelope, a copy of my brochure, and a cover letter that concisely explains the reason for contacting them. Be sure to reference which property you wish to hunt, and be as courteous and profession as possible. Have someone proof read your information before mailing it if need be.

Here is a look at my brochure and the permission slip I use. (I must give credit where credit is due. Thanks to Joe for the brochure format!) If you would like a working format of this brochure, PM me and I will email it to you. I can do the same with the permission slip.

Good luck getting access to some new ground this year! I'm hoping my slips come back signed so that I have plenty of room to roam for spring gobblers!!!

Permission Language:

Permission for Hunting, Fishing, or Trapping on Private Land

Permission is hereby granted to the undersigned sportsperson for hunting, fishing, and/or trapping on land owned by the undersigned landowner or their agent for the date(s) listed and according to the conditions stated below. In accepting this permit, I agree to assume and release the landowner from any or all liability for personal injuries, property damage, or for the loss of life or property resulting from, or in any way connected with the issuance of this permit.

Hunting/Fishing/Trapping Permission
Valid From Date(s)
_4_/_1_/_2013_ to _2_/_28_/_2014_

Ohio Revised Code 1533.181: Exemption from liability to recreational users:
(A) No owner, or lessee, or occupant of premises:
(1) Owes any duty to a recreational user to keep the premises safe for entry or use;
(2) Extends any assurance to a recreational user, through the act of giving permission, that the premises are safe for entry or use;
(3) Assumes responsibility for or incurs liability for any injury to person or property caused by any act of a recreational user.

Conditions

1. To respect the rights of the property owner.
2. To be careful in the handling of firearms.
3. Not to damage fences, buildings, or other property.
4. Not to litter the area or dump any rubbish
5. To obey all hunting laws and regulations as set forth by the Ohio Division of Wildlife.
6. This free permit is only valid on the lands of the issuing landowners and only for the days specified.
7. ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________.

Brochure:

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Might want too get rid of the pic of that ugly thing sitting next to the really good looking dog.....

Otherwise it looks good

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
What a great thread and idea Jesse. This should be very helpful in obtaining permission for you and others who choose to give it a try. PM sent.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Oh, I actually liked your truck pic cuz it looks as dirty as mine. If it were clean, they wouldn't recognize it when you/I would actually be parked on their property. Lol

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Bribes always work TOO, especially after getting permission. In summer, I always keep all my landowners stocked in fresh Walleye, jerky, and summer sausage. Then usually in June/July before I start hanging and trimming I will swing back through and small talk and offer more goodies

Huckleberry Finn

Ran across mine tonight and wanted to share...

Although ODNR has done away with things like printing licenses on waterproof paper (or the metal deer and turkey tags for that matter), this fall I was at a convention - actually Farm Bureau but I digress... - and they had carbon copy 1/3 sheet of paper permission slips. That way the land owner and the property owner both get a copy of the written permission. I never quite understood why the hunter information is on the sheet that the hunter has to be in possession of...I know what kind of car I drive.

Anyways, I grabbed about 10 of them and wish I had gotten the whole stack. I think that Jesse's pamphlet makes up for the deficiency of information on the DNR slips...

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Great thread. Thanks for sharing the pamphlet, Jesse... It's definitely a good one.

One suggestion: I would rearrange your Personal Info section so that Emergency Contact is at the very bottom. As it's currently laid out, it seems as though your wife is 6'1'' and 225 pounds. lmao

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Just as an update to this, one of the two packets I mailed out that day came back last week. It was permission for 280 acres of wildlife abundance. I don't hunt there much, but it is a true ace in the hole. JB was on this farm with me last spring when we saw the 6 long beards strutting and gobbling in unison. I plan to hit this farm a couple of times for turkey for sure!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Just as an update to this, one of the two packets I mailed out that day came back last week. It was permission for 280 acres of wildlife abundance. I don't hunt there much, but it is a true ace in the hole. JB was on this farm with me last spring when we saw the 6 long beards strutting and gobbling in unison. I plan to hit this farm a couple of times for turkey for sure!

That's great news, man! Get over to that farm and hunt it early! You know the birds are there...

Tiny

This is about the most professional request I have ever seen in my life!.
Outstanding!!

Mao

Coshocton, OH
Tip: Ask permission to turkey hunt only. I have found it is wayyyyyy easier to get permission to turkey hunt than deer hunt. Once you have gotten permission get the land owner used to seeing you there by checking in and chatting with them. After the season buy the land owner a nice gift card to a nice local restaurant and send it in a thank you card. At this point do not ask to deer hunt. Wait until turkey season is a distant memory and no one is even bothering them about deer hunting yet. Then you swing by to visit and casually ask to deer hunt. It is hard to tell someone no that has become somewhat of a regular at their property and has bought their family a nice gift card and sent a thank you note. This of course is dealing with a non leasing land owner. This year this has gained me access to over 200 acres of prime ground on two different properties. It's a little late for this now, but I thought I'd share what has worked for me.