Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Sandridge Outfitters 2013 Food Plot Plan

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The more I think about what to do, the more indecisive I get! Figured I would throw some information at you all and see what you guys would do in my shoes. I have never planted perennials before, but am considering it this year. I have never planted in the spring, but would like to plant one or two of the four spots this spring if possible. Between work, coaching baseball, a kid and life in general, it is hard for me to find time in the spring to get things planted. It seems I usually catch a break around late July and that is what has made fall plantings the preference for me to date. Now that I have an ATV sprayer with boom, pull behind spreader, and a 65hp tractor with 5' tiller at my disposal, my ability to plant is greater than ever. At this point, the only thing holding me back is time, money, and deciding what to plant!!!

I just drew representative green blobs on the maps. They are in no way to scale. I will also include some past pictures of these plots for reference. They have all been planted at one time or another, but never in unison.

Food Plot 1:

This is a plot that was last planted in an cereal grain mixture in 2008. I called it the "Corner Pocket" since it is situated on the inside corner of the woods that is mirrored by the topography. The ridge rolls off in to the creek bottoms below on the west and north sides. To the south is about a 1/2 acre of thick bedding that is part of my network of sanctuaries. There are a few oaks around this field edge as well. The stand location here will take advantage of the prevailing SW winds, with access coming down the east side of the corn, then wrapping around the north side of the corn. This will be the first year for any type of planting in this field for as long as we know. With 3 acres of standing corn roughly 10' in elevation above this location, this food plot offers ample security. There is no way I can get this plot planted until fall and am considering another cereal grain/clover blend here.

Total Plot Size: 80' x 150'. 12,000 square feet or .28 acres.

Food Plot 2:

This is a small, secluded hunting plot on an oak ridge. I will plant this spot in the fall and would welcome suggestions on seed blends to fit this type of situation. In the past, this has been planted in Evolved Harvest Throw & Gro, and Whitetail Institute Secret Spot. Neither blend knocked my socks off.

Total Plot Size: 20' x 150'. 3,000 square feet or .07 acres.

Food Plot 3:

This was a new plot last year and one I will expand just a little this year. It was planted in Merit Seed Groundhog Radishes and did not do all that well. Part of that is my fault because I did not test the soil. The reasoning behind this plot was because I hung a buddy stand just above this in the wood line as an observation stand. I have given a little thought to planting Whitetail Institute Power Plant right here to aid in covering deer as they transition from one wood line to the next. However with 60+ acres of beans to the north, I'm not sure this is a wise use of my resources. I get a lot of deer walking through this spot, so it is nice to have something here for them to stop and eat on.

Total Plot Size: 50' x 150'. 7,500 square feet or .17 acres.

Food Plot 4:

This is the biggest and best of my spots. The soil here is awesome and I was blown away at how well everything grew here last year. I planted this in a mix of the Merit Groundhog Radishes and Biologic Outfitters Blend. While the growth was amazing, usage left a little to be desired. All in all, I believe I am done planting food plots in radish/brassica blends unless they account for a small percentage of the seed blend. I hope to expand this plot this year so that it can act as another primary food source for deer transitioning from the beans as they dry up, to acorns/corn. Ideally, I'd like for this to be a complete blend of cereal grains, clover, and more.

Total Plot Size: 60' x 300'. 18,000 square feet or .40 acres.

In total, I will have around 1 acre of food to go with the 3 acres of corn that will be on our farm. It is not near what I would like to have on our 80 acres, but it is better than nothing. I am also competing with major amounts of beans and corn within a short walk of our farm, so there is not sense in going TOO crazy. Ideally if I were to plant a spring blend, it would be in Plots 3 and 4. At some point, I hope to have the majority of the creek bottom where Plot 4 is located planted in strips. I can plant 3 20' wide, 450' long strips of corn, beans, and a food plot blend on a rotation. It will take some time, but I will accomplish this at some point. Once I get to that point, I am building a 16' tower blind down there that will be big enough to comfortably sit 3-4 people!!!

So if it were you guys, what would you be looking to do here?

Last edited:

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i am also making plans now for plots, ive gotta get some spots brush hogged here soon to plant in the spring ive never done spring plots either, i think you have the right ideas just gotta find the time, my spots are alot of crop land so im planting along the edges of woods and along the creek bottoms.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jesse you sure a a great setup with differant plot locations. The Deer & Deer Hunting TV has been doing the same type of multiple plantings on a property down South. Drop me your address and I will send you my TV series DCD's.
With the way my farm is setup plus I still raise carrle as a hobby I only have the one pasture field I can readly use. I do have a very small spot on the other side of the farm but it would only be 50X100 and not really worth the effert but probaly still will do it.
I will be watching your post for ideas.
Frank

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Jesse in poorer performing soils, im a fan of clover because it should last you 5 years or so with proper maintenance. It will also be a nitrogen fixer and also allow you to develop some organics in your soil from mowing and fertilizing.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse in poorer performing soils, im a fan of clover because it should last you 5 years or so with proper maintenance. It will also be a nitrogen fixer and also allow you to develop some organics in your soil from mowing and fertilizing.

If I plant clover, it will have to be in Plot 1. That is the only place I can get a mower to without using the brush hog. I have considered this, just not sure I want something I have to maintain just yet. I've been planting and forgetting for TOO long!

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If I plant clover, it will have to be in Plot 1. That is the only place I can get a mower to without using the brush hog. I have considered this, just not sure I want something I have to maintain just yet. I've been planting and forgetting for TOO long!

We mow ours with a brush hog. We set it at 6 to 8 inches and keep after it. We mow maybe every 4 to 5 weeks and sometimes longer.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
In the D&D Hunting DVD's on food plots they recommend moving 1/3 off couple times a year. Then only mow 50% of the field at time for new grow which is sweeter.
The DVD's are available.
Frank

Buckmaster

Portage
Jesse
Have you ever thought of keeping it a little simplier and putting all your eggs in one basket?

How would it be planting clover in the red area? That should centralize the feeding and make patterning deer more manageable.

Would this work for you given your layout?

Attachments

• Jesse Plot 1.jpg
    Jesse Plot 1.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Milo

Tatonka guide.
In the D&D Hunting DVD's on food plots they recommend moving 1/3 off couple times a year. Then only mow 50% of the field at time for new grow which is sweeter.
The DVD's are available.
Frank

Not sure why they would recommend that because once a clover has flowered its done taste wise keep it mowed and you get multiple heads(easy now fellas) all season. They nip those sweet flower heads right off..also killer for turkeys due to the amount of bugs in there for them to feed on.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Jesse
Have you ever thought of keeping it a little simplier and putting all your eggs in one basket?

How would it be planting clover in the red area? That should centralize the feeding and make patterning deer more manageable.

That area is deceiving as you can only plant about 30% of what you have in red due to creek erosion (it gets over the bank here) and it would take a dozer to clean up where the hillside meets the creek also.

MK111

Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Jesse

No expert here only what I have learned off the D&D Hunting TV DVD's.
On their experimental land they plant several small food plots in a circle around a large food plot. Then they connect the smaller plots to the larger plot with crooked planted paths like spooks of a wheel. They want the paths crooked so the deer feel secure and can only see about 100 ft or so down the path. With several plots they always have a food plot to hunt regardless of which way the wind is blowing.
Then they never hunt the large food plot and only hunt on the smaller plots. They want the smaller plots in a horseshoe shaped design so I believe so a stand can be placed in the bend and see both ways. They put brush piles to steer the deer paths to their stands.
I've watched so many I have to go back and revisit them for the fine details.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
On their experimental land they plant several small food plots in a circle around a large food plot. Then they connect the smaller plots to the larger plot with crooked planted paths like spooks of a wheel. They want the paths crooked so the deer feel secure and can only see about 100 ft or so down the path. With several plots they always have a food plot to hunt regardless of which way the wind is blowing.
Then they never hunt the large food plot and only hunt on the smaller plots. They want the smaller plots in a horseshoe shaped design so I believe so a stand can be placed in the bend and see both ways. They put brush piles to steer the deer paths to their stands.

They also have unlimited resources and are doing this solely for TV. In a perfect world, I'd have 10 acres of food on our place...

Buckmaster

Portage

Sounds very plausible to me mixing up plots and ambush sites meanwhile offering some flexibility in terms of wind directions.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
The recommendation is 5% food plots for your parcel.

Yep. But even 4 acres is a pipe dream for me by and large. I will have 4 acres of food this year, but only because the guy that cuts our hay wanted to plant that back field. Otherwise, I'm looking at 1% and wishing I could do more. If I can get my hands on a reasonably priced plow, then things could change. Not to mention find some free time to for my dad to do the work or convince him to hand me the keys to his new $40K tractor. lmao

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'll echo what Milo said about planting clover.

In addition, I think you should plant more winter rye and oats if you're looking for more attraction. Jerry Oats or Buck Forage Oats simply can't be beat, IMO. And winter rye is a nice supplement to the oats because it stays greener longer. Get the deer into the plot with the oats and rye, and they'll hit your brassicas and radishes too. They just can't help themselves.

What's also cool about the cereal grains is the height they grow to in the spring. Talk about bug attraction! Turkeys will love it not only for the bugs but possibly even nesting habitat.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Get the tractor and a old 2/3 row planter and put corn from #3 to the end if #4 and be done with it. Hell, find and old rotary planter if ya cant get the teactor back there. Ill bring beer and well have it planted in a weekend. Sun up to sun down, 12" apart, 30" between rows. Build it and they will come!!