Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

THE SHOCKER back from taxi

themedic

OHIO
I just picked up “The Shocker” from my local taxidermist. I used John Garren at Pine Ridge Taxidermy in Logan, Ohio. John is an award winning taxidermist and has now mounted my last 4 bucks, and each time they seem to get better. John’s contact information can be found at this link: Pine Ridge Taxidermy. If you are looking for a great taxidermist in Ohio, give John a call and tell him I sent you.

For The Shocker, I chose a McKenzie 9600 with a slight right turn. This form features a full upright pose with two full shoulders. I chose the 9600 for multiple reasons:

First (and something I feel is very important about picking a form) is to use a pose that respresents something that the deer did prior to harvest. If you have viewed The Shocker Falls (the harvest video of The Shocker) you can see my buck stops on two occasions and stands in a very upright position, seemingly scanning the woodlot in front of him. I remember these moments of the hunt very vividly.

Second, I chose a full upright form because I did not have an upright form in my collection. I now have my 5 best archery bucks mounted in a variety of poses. In a future post, I hope to share a trophy wall photo with everyone. I have never taken the classic picture of all my harvests and sheds layout out in one big harvest photo. It is something I have always wanted to do but every year I say “just one more big buck” … but I now think it’s time, just gotta do it!

Making an educated decision about what form and pose to use goes a long way in being happy with your final mount. Last year I ordered a FREE taxidermy catalog from McKenzie Taxidermy supply. Having this catalog to reference and just knowing what is available is a great resource. I highly suggest ordering one, and you can do so at this link: Catalog Request

I hope to take THE SHOCKER to the deer and turkey expo next week, keep an eye out for him and me. I'll be wearing a grey TrophyPursuit.com shirt. If you see me be sure to say hi. Thanks for reading.

-Corey

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
Looks like good work Corey. I found his site when searching online, but wasn't traveling that far. I was happy with how my mount came out with the exception of the rolls in the hide. I can see your taxi did it, and I was hoping for some in mine. I even asked if he touches the forms up with a knife at all. Unfortunately, I have no roll in the hide. I'm still not a fan of the upright forms though. They just appear outdated to me. I'm not sure what to think about that one that has his neck sticking out either... I'm very basic, left mid, right mid... If I keep shooting deer worth mounting I'd like to do an open mouth sneak and a big one on a pedestal. But the mount looks quality for sure.

themedic

OHIO
Looks like good work Corey. I found his site when searching online, but wasn't traveling that far. I was happy with how my mount came out with the exception of the rolls in the hide. I can see your taxi did it, and I was hoping for some in mine. I even asked if he touches the forms up with a knife at all. Unfortunately, I have no roll in the hide. I'm still not a fan of the upright forms though. They just appear outdated to me. I'm not sure what to think about that one that has his neck sticking out either... I'm very basic, left mid, right mid... If I keep shooting deer worth mounting I'd like to do an open mouth sneak and a big one on a pedestal. But the mount looks quality for sure.

I get what you mean about upright forms. Sometimes I look at the form and thinks its a little heavy on the bottom. Your eye naturally want to flow downward, but it still looks great. Thanks for the replies fellas.