Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey Broadheads ?

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
For those of you who bowhunt turkeys...Do you use your regular broadheads from deer season or do you purchase turkey specific broadheads? If you buy turkey specific broadheads what is the advantage for you? what is the difference between turkey and deer broadheads?

Several years ago when I asked the same thing several people recommended to me to use my regular broadheads with dull/practice blades in them. The idea behind it was to help keep the arrow in the turkey and the mere size of the head would be plenty to do enough damage to kill one. From what I was told then, keeping the arrow in the turkey would keep it from running or flying far. It worked that year, I did not pass through the turkey and I have yet to give it a try again since then.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
I hit my turkey this fall in the neck with a slick trick. It's my was first and only turkey. It was a pretty long and lucky shot.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've blown Slick Tricks clean through two turkeys now and haven't found either bird. I believe there is something to keeping the arrow in there. The kill zone is so small in relation to what you see, it makes a lot of sense to keep the head in their body...

Ricer2231

Have any of you guys ever used these? They are called a gobbler guillotine. They look pretty fuggin' nasty.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362786779.203812.jpg

I shot my first turkey with a bow using slick tricks. A guy hunting the same property two weeks later killed that bird and found a 1" hole straight through him. From then on I've placed a spur behind my broadheads that dramatically slow my arrows on impact keeping them in the bird.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
Have any of you guys ever used these? They are called a gobbler guillotine. They look pretty fuggin' nasty.

The idea of that broadhead is to shoot them in the neck, and take their head clean off. They dont seem to go too far after that.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I've never used them (quit bowhunting turkeys several years ago), but I would look at the Magnus Bullhead. I think they are the best of both worlds... You do not need to put sleeves on the blades, and if you use the smaller model you can shoot the bird in the body or the head/neck. If I were to ever bow hunt turkey again, I'd give 'em careful consideration.

Kaiser878

ohio
I have shot quite a few turkeys with a bow. I have always just used my rage 2 blades on them. I have had one that I actually had to track. It went aobut 50 yards over the edge of a rise.

I have always wanted to use a guillotine or a magnus bullhead...but your range dramatically goes down when using those. You have to almost use a full length arrow and your effective/consistent range is only about 12-15 yards... Any of them I have ever shot have not flown very well at all at 20 yards..Then again I also refuse to re-tune my bow for shooting a turkey... I think any expandable will bu sufficient. Wasp makes an expandable called the gobbler getter, it is basicly a jackhammer with a rounded/blunted tip

Extremely wide cutting diameter Mechanical broadheads rule, when it comes to turkeys, geese, pheasants...any birds. Contact with feathers and bones WILL open the mechanical broadhead, do the most damage on their smaller vital organs and slow penetration. I suggest a 1 1/2" minimum cutting diameter.

Turkeys or game birds in general, unlike most game animals, can be shot at any angle. So, why would I limit my shot options by shooting a broadhead that's designed for head shots ONLY. Any of those propeller type broadheads have a lot of tuning restrictions/requirements to shooting them out of a bow. Not to mention they're just plain unsafe, due to the way they have to be carried. Ofcourse, there's the turkey itself... You don't see a turkey's head holding still for a shot, for more than a few seconds. They look good in the videos, but you won't see any of them in my quiver.

I've not decided, yet, but here's a few of my choices.
Rage: http://www.ragebroadheads.com/products/turkey.html

Wasp Jak-Hammer SST: http://www.wasparchery.com/broadheads/mechanical/jak-hammer_sst

Trophy Ridge Meat Seeker (3 blade): http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads

Bowhunter57